Auburn's comeback falls short against No. 12 Kentucky

Jan 21, 2021; Auburn, AL, USA; Auburn Tigers forward Jala Jordan (14) shoots as Kentucky Wildcats forward Tatyana Wyatt (14) defends during the game between Auburn and Kentucky at Auburn Arena. Mandatory Credit: Shanna Lockwood/AU Athletics

Auburn was able to keep up with No. 12 Kentucky for most of the game but came up short. 

No. 12 Kentucky defeated Auburn 76-71 inside Auburn Arena on Thursday. With the loss, the Tigers fall to 5-8 on the season and 0-5 in the SEC. 

“That was the best we’ve played through all four quarters,” said Auburn head coach Terri Williams-Flournoy. 

Auburn forced 14 turnovers and outrebounded the Wildcats by a 41-38 margin. 

The matchup against Kentucky brought Robyn Benton back to Auburn. Benton transferred from Auburn to Kentucky in the spring of 2020. The junior transfer scored 10 points in her first game back in Auburn Arena.

Redshirt-Sophomore Jala Jordan provided a spark off the bench with 11 points and one rebound. 

“It was good to see her hit that first shot,” Williams-Flournoy said. “She provided a real spark off the bench.” 

Jordan was 3-for-5 from beyond the arc, while the rest of the Auburn team only made two 3-pointers. 

Senior Unique Thompson was quiet in the first half with four points and four rebounds. In the second half, Thompson scored 18 points and was a key factor down the stretch as she scored five of Auburn's six final baskets. 

The senior finished the night with another double-double as she ended the evening with 22 points and 10 rebounds. 

“We’re gonna keep fighting,” Thompson said. 

Thompson and Auburn will face Alabama at Coleman Coliseum on Sunday at 1 p.m. CST. The game will be broadcasted on ESPNU. 

Share and discuss “Auburn's comeback falls short against No. 12 Kentucky” on social media.