Council approves traffic signal at Highway 14 and Solamere Lane

<p>Auburn City Council meets every first and third Tuesday at 7:00 p.m.&nbsp;</p>

Auburn City Council meets every first and third Tuesday at 7:00 p.m. 

During Tuesday night's City Council meeting, the Council voted to approve an agreement with the Alabama Department of Transportation to install a traffic light at the intersection of Highway 14 and Solamere Lane. ALDOT will have the decision to install the signal, after which the City would agree to maintain it, said City Manager Jim Buston.

Ward 1 Council member Connie Fitch-Taylor asked how the light would affect the intersection of Highway 14 and Shug Jordan Parkway. City Engineer Alison Frazer explained that the distance between the intersections is over half a mile, so traffic coming off of the ramp should not be affected. ALDOT will also have the decision as to whether traffic will be significantly impacted by the signal.

Ward 2 Council member Kelley Griswold asked whether a traffic light would also be added at the connector road between Highway 14 and Shug Jordan Parkway. Frazer said that the Council will vote on a second signal at a later time if it is required.

The Council unanimously approved the traffic signal agreement.

During his announcements, Mayor Ron Anders reminded the community that beds at East Alabama Medical Center are filling up and people need to continue to follow safe practices. Anders is currently quarantining at home after testing positive for COVID-19 over the holiday weekend.

During his communications, Buston told the Council that the City received $241,433.62 from the Rebuilt Alabama Act in fiscal year 2020. The Act increased the tax on gasoline throughout the state and funds can be used on approved City projects.

The Council unanimously approved the purchase of 14 new marked Chevrolet Tahoe police vehicles. Ward 8 Council member Tommy Dawson thanked City staff for arranging the purchase, stating that the Tahoe is the best police vehicle, both for officer safety and for carrying passengers and cargo.

Charlie Ramo | Content Editor

Charlie Ramo, junior in aerospace engineering, is the content editor of The Auburn Plainsman.

@byCharlieRamo

Share and discuss “Council approves traffic signal at Highway 14 and Solamere Lane” on social media.