Sharife Cooper declared eligible, will play against Alabama

<p>Auburn guard Sharife Cooper during practice. Photo via: Shanna Lockwood | Auburn Athletics. &nbsp;</p>

Auburn guard Sharife Cooper during practice. Photo via: Shanna Lockwood | Auburn Athletics.  

After a long wait, Auburn fans will finally get a chance to see 5-star point guard Sharife Cooper in action Saturday against Alabama. 

Auburn announced that Cooper was finally declared eligible by the NCAA in a statement released Saturday morning. 

“Sharife Cooper has been deemed eligible by the NCAA. He will play Saturday vs. Alabama.”

Cooper was expected to be Auburn’s starting point guard this season, but his initial eligibility was under review by the NCAA for the program’s first 11 games.

At the time of signing with Auburn, Cooper was Auburn’s highest-rated signee in basketball, according to 247sports. 

Coming out of McEachern High School, Cooper was rated as the No. 2 player in Georgia and the No. 5 point guard in the nation, according to 247sports composite rankings. 

When Cooper signed with Auburn, he was just the second 5-star to ever sign with the program. 

Jake Weese | Sports Editor

Jake Weese, senior in journalism with a minor in history, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

@TheJakeWeese

Sports@theplainsman.com 

Share and discuss “Sharife Cooper declared eligible, will play against Alabama” on social media.