Midtown becomes part of Auburn's nightlife

<p>The Grazer Co was one of the many shops that opened it's doors for Midtown's event.&nbsp;</p>

The Grazer Co was one of the many shops that opened it's doors for Midtown's event. 

Midtown at Auburn is committed to bringing the feel of the gulf coast The Plains, with its bodegas and new restaurants and shops.

However, they are now branching out even further, as they have begun hosting “Midtown: Live after Five” events once a month in the downtown area of the apartment complex. 

These events typically host food trucks, pop-up shops and special vendors. The first event was held in February, and the event returned for the second time on Thursday night, March 25. 

The highlights of this month’s event were a dog parade, live music by local artist Wynn Christian and the grand opening of Blade and Barrel, a new ax-throwing establishment. 

A few of the permanent bodegas at the center of Midtown were hosting smaller stands at the event, one of which was The Grazer co. While they specialize in mini-charcuterie boards, they also offer charcuterie tables, boxes and workshops where participants can learn how to properly assemble their own charcuterie boards. 

Ashlyn Ferrin, employee at The Grazer Co, said that she attended last month’s event, and really enjoyed all that it had to offer.

“Last month, I helped with the s'mores stand and I really enjoyed it,” she said. “I loved seeing everybody and seeing families enjoying themselves and having a great time.”

Karstin Brewis, attendee at the event, saw an advertisement for the event on Facebook and decided to bring her dogs out to enjoy the festivities.

“I think it’s super cool, I saw that it was inspired by [Highway] 30-A and knew I had to go,” she said. “It is something free where you don’t have to spend money, but you can if you want to.” 

Brewis said she enjoys that “Midtown: Live after Five” feels unlike most of Auburn’s nightlife opportunities. 

“It is nice to have something else to do in Auburn that is different, other than going out to the bars or going out to eat, but you can still have a great time,” she said. 

Cole Ibsen, another attendee at the event, said he enjoyed having a place to bring his dog and socialize. 

“I thought it was really cool and fun to bring my dogs and see all of the other dogs and have a fun time,” he said. 

Many of the permanent establishments at Midtown also opened their doors for the event, including Home+Ivy, a modern homegoods, gift and floral store. 

Tori Brinson, owner of Home+Ivy and Auburn alumna, said she opened her store at Midtown in November 2020. She said she decided to open her store after operating a floral business out of her home, which catered mostly to weddings and other events. 

“I dabbled in interior decorating at one point and ended up with this store which brought in all of my interests and my love for design,” she said. “I consider it a lifestyle shop; I buy what I like and I hope everyone else likes it too.” 

The next event will be held in April with updates being posted on the Midtown Facebook page.

Kara Mautz | Culture Writer

Kara Mautz, senior in human development and family studies with a minor in journalism, is a culture writer at The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “Midtown becomes part of Auburn's nightlife ” on social media.