Rob's Ribs plans to open on North College Street

<p>Rob's Ribs is located on North College Street by the railroad tracks at the former site of Mike &amp; Ed's Bar-B-Q.</p>

Rob's Ribs is located on North College Street by the railroad tracks at the former site of Mike & Ed's Bar-B-Q.

Recognizing the South’s insatiable desire for BBQ, local restaurant owner Mark Coxwell has decided to branch out into Auburn and open Rob’s Ribs, a sister restaurant to Butcher Paper in Opelika. 

It will be opening at former Mike & Ed’s BBQ in mid-April. In the meantime, the Butcher Paper food truck will be up and running on Fridays in front of the new storefront location at 307 N. College St. 

“It’s the same idea, just catered a little more to Auburn,” Coxwell said. “I had the idea for Rob’s Rib’s. I probably sat on it for a couple of years...When this building came available it was just too good to pass up, so we jumped at it.”

Coxwell, A grill master at heart, has spent years in the BBQ business. 

“I used to work at a BBQ restaurant when I was younger and it just kind of got in my blood," Coxwell said. "I was enamored with it. I loved everything about it."

He started his journey when he borrowed a smoker from his boss where he began catering. As his passion grew, Coxwell built his own smoker in his backyard and continued to serve the community. 

After about a year, he decided to open a food truck where he met long time employee Rob Goodwin, the restaurant's namesake and general manager. Goodwin has been with Coxwell "since the ground floor," Coxwell said. 

Then, in September 2018, the team opened Butcher Paper along with Coxwell's wife and business partner, Anna Coxwell. 

Now, almost three years later, they’re taking on a new, yet familiar challenge: Rob’s Ribs. 

“It’s almost hard to compare the two," Goodwin said. "The kitchen is significantly bigger,” said Goodwin. "Almost three times the size of the Butcher Paper." 

With the larger kitchen, Rob’s Ribs will be able to accommodate more menu items. It will also meet Auburn’s love of nightlife by offering later hours. 

“Our goal is to be open from 6 a.m. to midnight,” Coxwell said. 

In addition to later hours, Rob’s Ribs will have a variety of new menu options. 

“The food is going to be very similar," Goodwin said. "We’ll have more options because we’re going to have fryers, which over there we don't have."

New menu items will include french fries, fried mac and cheese balls and salads. Rob’s Ribs will also have a full bar and a large covered outdoor patio area. There will also be a built-in pit smoker. 

“We’re gonna keep that pit running 24/7," Coxwell said. "There is going to be something cooking on there all day everyday.” 

They are also in the process of setting up merchandise sales that will include t-shirts, stickers, hats, and koozies that will be available for purchase through their Instagram and Facebook accounts. 

“It’s a much bigger scale than what we’re generally used to, but we’re ready for the challenge and we’re really excited,” Coxwell said. 

Share and discuss “Rob's Ribs plans to open on North College Street” on social media.