Inside linebackers 'buy-in' to Schmedding's system

Owen Pappoe (0)
Auburn football practice on Wednesday, April 7, 2021 in Auburn, Ala.
Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics
Owen Pappoe (0) Auburn football practice on Wednesday, April 7, 2021 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Owen Pappoe and Zakoby McClain have been the stalwarts of Auburn’s defense for two straight years. Under newly hired inside linebackers coach Jeff Schmedding, the tandem are set to continue to be difference makers. 

“It’s a great opportunity and a great way to come in with guys that have played ball. They understand. You can't put a price on having those guys,” Schmedding said. 

Schmedding is yet another coach to follow head coach Bryan Harsin to Auburn and is also another defensive coordinator, turned position coach for the Tigers. Before agreeing to coach the inside linebackers, Schmedding was the defensive coordinator for Boise State coaching under Bryan Harsin. Schmedding said it was a “no brainer” to follow Harsin to Auburn. 

“You got to go somewhere and work for someone who you believe in what their vision is,” Schmedding said. “You’re going to the most competitive league in college football, and working for someone you believe in. To me it’s a slam dunk.”

Inheriting an inside linebacker core of some of the most versatile talent in the country, Schmedding stepped into one of the most complete rooms on Auburn’s team. 

Pappoe and McClain were standouts in Auburn’s up and down year last year. McClain finished third in the SEC in tackles and Pappoe recorded a career-best 11 tackles in Auburn’s final game in the Citrus Bowl. Pappoe has been known to be a student of the game, and Schmedding confirmed that thought immediately in his press conference. 

"I am blessed to coach a guy like Owen,” Schmedding said. “He has got the God-given talent and love for the game. He is an absolute joy to coach. Off the field, he's as impressive as on the field. He is very gifted. He's always the guy trying to get extra film. He's always the guy asking the right questions"

Pappoe started for his second straight last season, where he and McClain filled the void left by K.J. Britt, following Britt’s hand injury. The tandem recorded over 200 tackles last year under linebackers coach Travis Williams. Now under Schmedding, he expects the same buy-in from his main guys.

“I told them right away, ‘I am not going to ask you to trust me, that is going to be built over time,’” Schmedding said. “From the start, there has been a buy-in. You see it more every day. A kid like Zakoby, that kid loves playing football there is no doubt about it.”

As for the other players playing linebacker for the Tigers, Schmedding singled out sophomore Cam Riley and senior Chandler Wooten.

Riley, Auburn’s tallest linebacker at 6-foot-5, has been a practice standout over the spring ball period. Riley appeared in 11 games last year, starting in one, mainly as an outside backer. This spring, under Schmedding, Riley has been moved inside but his coach says it’s possible that he could be moved around even more. 

“He's coming along. Really excited about Cam,” Schmedding said. “He’s a long kid, rangey kid. He bought into the weight room. He's taken care of himself nutritionally. He has a bright future. I foresee him being a guy who has position versatility, where we can move him around and maximize his talents.”

Wooten, who opted out of the 2020 season due to Covid-19 concerns, is another staple name for the Auburn defense. In 2019, he recorded 4.5 tackles for loss and an interception. Now back with the team for his super-senior year, Schmedding is excited for what Wooten brings back to the table.

"Chandler Wooten is having a heck of a spring ball,” Schmedding said. “I've been very impressed with his professional manner. Defensive drills, special teams drills, that guy stands out. Guys listen when he talks. On the daily, his performance and his voice are on the right trend.” 

It is clear that Schmedding and his core have bought into what Auburn is planning to do on defense. With former defensive coordinators all over Auburn’s defensive coaching staff, Schmedding says they only care about one thing. 

"We check our egos at the door. At the end of the day we want the best for Auburn,” Schmedding said.  

Share and discuss “Inside linebackers 'buy-in' to Schmedding's system” on social media.