Shaun Shivers ready for more aggressive, downhill running scheme

Shaun Shivers (8) knocks defender Malcolm Askew (16) off his feet during
Auburn football practice on Wednesday, April 7, 2021 in Auburn, Ala.
Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics
Shaun Shivers (8) knocks defender Malcolm Askew (16) off his feet during Auburn football practice on Wednesday, April 7, 2021 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Auburn running back Shaun Shivers runs the football with one of the most aggressive styles in all of college. His downhill, pinball-style of running the ball made a national statement in 2019 when he knocked the helmet clean off of Alabama safety Xavier McKinney. Now, in his fourth year on the Plains, Shivers wants to continue running the ball. Hard. 

“I have a chance to show people what I can really do,” Shivers said. “That’s what I am used to, running downhill.” 

At 5-foot-7 and 189 pounds, Shivers is the smallest back on Auburn’s team. He is five inches shorter than running backs Tank Bigsby and Devan Barrett. But Shivers uses the size to his advantage. 

Much like former Auburn running back Corey Grant, Shivers uses his low leverage to lay hits on ensuing defenders and run right through arm tackles. In his four years, Shivers averages five yards per rush. 

During the complete coaching change for Auburn football, the one coach that remained the same was running backs coach Carnell “Cadillac” Williams. While Williams may be the same, the scheme his head coach runs is not. When asked about how the run game will be impacted by having all new coaches and a new scheme, Shivers’ face lit up in a grin.

“It’s more downhill, more attacking the defense,” Shivers said. “I feel like that is more our style here, as running backs. That’s what I do, run downhill. This is what best fits me.” 

Shivers was voted a team captain for the 2020 season for being a leader among his teammates. When the coaching staff was overhauled at the end of the season, Shivers took it upon himself to help keep the team chemistry stable and keep his teammates motivated for what was next. 

“Everybody was in panic mode because of the coaching change,” Shivers said. “But my thing was just to have conversations with other players to not panic. We all have to give someone an opportunity.” 

When speaking on his new head coach, Shivers had nothing but positives to say. Like his fellow players and new coaches, Shivers praised Harsin’s attention to detail and the culture he is creating. 

“At first it was kind of different for everybody,” Shivers said. “But now, we have been with coach Harsin for a while now. Now, we all hold each other accountable to do the right thing as a program should.” 

Shivers said he has not set any goals for himself yet for the 2021 season, but continued to say that the newer, more downhill-based running style is the best fit for him. 

“This is the best offense for me,” Shivers said. 

Share and discuss “Shaun Shivers ready for more aggressive, downhill running scheme” on social media.