Whataburger headed to Toomer's Corner

<p>The previous Pieology location on Toomer's Corner will soon be home to Whataburger.</p>

The previous Pieology location on Toomer's Corner will soon be home to Whataburger.

Toomer's Corner may be the next home for the Texas-based burger joint Whataburger's newest location according to reporting by Atlanta Tomorrow's News Daily. If approved, the location will be the state's 20th Whataburger location.

The location was first reported by the publication Atlanta Tomorrow's News Daily. The City of Auburn's Development Review Team's monthly report from April 8 shows that the chain applied for a permit for the downtown location on March 3.

The Whataburger will replace the recently-closed Pieology in the former Bank of Auburn building at 101 College St, directly across the street from Auburn University and Toomer's Drugs.

Auburn will go from having zero Whataburgers within a 90-mile radius to having two within a 10-mile radius in one year. In January, signs near Opelika's Tiger Town displayed the words, "Whataburger Opening Soon" in what was going to be the area's first and only Whataburger.

The Toomer's location will be within walking distance for Auburn University students and faculty and the two newly added Auburn locations will match that of the two Whataburger locations in Birmingham and Tuscaloosa. 

Previously, Auburn residents had to drive over 2 hours to get to the nearest Whataburger near Clanton, Alabama, with zero locations in or around Atlanta's metro area.

Whataburger reportedly plans to display its classic "W" logo pointed toward North College Street with the full name displayed along West Magnolia Avenue.

Editor's Note: This article has been updated with additional information.

Larry Robinson | Photo Editor

Larry is a senior studying journalism with a minor in sociology. He is from Enterprise, Alabama and is in his third year with The Auburn Plainsman. 

Twitter: @ReportingLarry

Share and discuss “Whataburger headed to Toomer's Corner” on social media.