Former Tiger Transit driver convicted of sexual abuse

James Don Johnson Jr., 35, was convicted of sexual abuse first degree by a Lee County jury on June 18, 2021.

A former Tiger Transit driver was found guilty of sexual abuse by a Lee County jury on Friday after he was accused of allowing one of his former coworkers to rape and sodomize an unconscious 18-year-old Auburn University student aboard a bus in fall 2017, according to the order from the Lee County Circuit Court.

James Don Johnson Jr., 35, was convicted of sexual abuse first degree, a lesser offense included in his charge. The jury found Johnson not guilty of first-degree sodomy.

“We’re pleased with the jury’s verdict and appreciate their attention in this difficult case," said Jessica Ventiere, Lee County District Attorney Pro Tem. "We’re glad this chapter is now closed for the victim and her family.”

Johnson was originally charged with first-degree rape and first-degree sodomy in 2017. Johnson, who was driving the bus the victim was on, was accused of allowing former Tiger Transit driver Tony Patillo to rape the female student on homecoming weekend in 2017.

Patillo was convicted of first-degree rape and first-degree sodomy charges in March 2019 and sentenced to over 21 years in prison. Patillo was also found guilty of a misdemeanor public lewdness charge.

Johnson will be held in custody at the Lee County Jail without bond until his sentencing hearing, which is set for August 16, 2021, in the Lee County Justice Center, according to the court document.

Evan Mealins | Editor-in-chief

Evan Mealins, senior in philosophy and economics, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

@EvanMealins

ecm0060@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “Former Tiger Transit driver convicted of sexual abuse” on social media.