Report: Devan Barrett entering transfer portal

<p>Devan Barrett (22) warms up prior to the 2021 Auburn Football A-Day scrimmage, on Saturday, April 17, 2021, in Auburn, Ala.&nbsp;</p>

Devan Barrett (22) warms up prior to the 2021 Auburn Football A-Day scrimmage, on Saturday, April 17, 2021, in Auburn, Ala. 

Auburn’s running back room has lost some depth as backup running back Devan Barrett entered the transfer portal on Friday, per On3sports’ Matt Zenitz.

The Tigers currently have two scholarship running backs in Tank Bigsby and Shaun Shivers, with freshmen backs Jarquez Hunter and Jordon Ingram arriving this fall.

Barrett signed with Auburn as a member of the 2017 recruiting class and was the No. 11 running back in the class of 2017, according to 247Sports composite rankings. 

As a true freshman in 2017, Barrett finished the season with 14 carries for 79 total yards in 11 games. He also recorded 10 receptions for 33 yards and a touchdown. 

At the end of fall camp in 2018, Barrett switched over to defensive back. He spent the 2018 and 2019 seasons at defensive back, appearing in a combined 12 games. 

After opting out of the 2020 season, Barrett returned during the spring and switched back to running back. At the 2021 A-Day game, Barrett rushed for 35 yards on six attempts.

Jake Weese | Sports Editor

Jake Weese, senior in journalism with a minor in history, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

@TheJakeWeese

Sports@theplainsman.com 

Share and discuss “Report: Devan Barrett entering transfer portal” on social media.