$120 million data center coming to Auburn

A rendering of the new data center by AUBix.

A local business is planning to open a $120 million data center in the City that will improve access to high-speed internet in the area.

AUBix LLC has begun construction on its new 40,000-square-foot facility on Samford Avenue near Auburn University’s campus, Gov. Kay Ivey announced today. AUBix will be an internet exchange for existing network service providers in the area, allowing them to improve their internet performance.

“This investment is evidence that Alabama continues to grow its high-tech footprint and the innovation capacity of its economy,” Ivey said. “I want to congratulate the team in Auburn for their success with this project. Our data shows strong job growth in various regions in the state, and I am delighted in those opportunities for our citizens throughout Alabama.”

The firm founded by Auburn businessmen said the facility is designed to improve the available technology in underserved communities in Alabama.

AUBix will offer 22,000 square feet of data center space and more than 3 megawatts of critical power capacity supplied by Alabama Power across two data halls with redundant power and cooling. The rest of the 40,000-square-foot facility includes customer office space, conference rooms and tenant equipment storage.

Those involved with the project have high expectations for its impact. Andrew Albrecht, co-founder and CEO of AUBix, said technological improvements from the facility will attract new businesses to the state, support academic initiatives and research and bring value to local communities. 

“The state-of-the-art AUBix data center in Auburn will optimize growth opportunities for businesses in many parts of Alabama by addressing their critical competitive need for reliable broadband service,” said Greg Canfield, Secretary of the Alabama Department of Commerce. “By enhancing the information technology infrastructure in our state, this facility will provide a spark for the future.”

Mayor Ron Anders also spoke highly of the facility, comparing the potential impact of AUBix to that of Interstate 85 when it was built in Auburn in the 1960s.

“Auburn will now be able to better serve IT-related business enterprises and, with that, bring desirable, knowledge-based, high-paying jobs to Auburn,” Anders said. “On top of that, the significant revenue this project will bring will greatly benefit our school system, which we all value. I am grateful for the trust and investment of the owners and their partners in our community.”

Evan Mealins | Editor-in-chief

Evan Mealins, senior in philosophy and economics, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

@EvanMealins

ecm0060@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “$120 million data center coming to Auburn” on social media.