John Samuel Shenker transitions back into football with a new staff to meet

<p>john Samuel Shenker (47) catches a pass during practice on Aug. 10, 2021.&nbsp;</p>

john Samuel Shenker (47) catches a pass during practice on Aug. 10, 2021. 

Senior John Samuel Shenker holds the same perspective as many others with the inevitable changes have happened, they are excited to learn and grow through it. 

However, the change is greater for Shenker as he made the transition from baseball back to football this summer. Shenker was tasked with learning more than the playbook this year at camp as he began to learn all of the new names as Auburn has made multiple changes within the program. 

“It was a little more difficult. I tried my best to come over here as often as possible. I still practiced here in the spring a little bit, so I wasn’t completely new to the staff coming into the summer,” Shenker said.

Shenker noted the difference in overall offensive coaching style, now coming from tight ends coach Brad Bedell. He did explain later that the tight end routes are similar in practice.

Traditionally, coaches have certain weak places on the field that they choose to attack in practice, but Shenker says daily routes have remained the same, with changes only to their frequencies.

“First of all, coach [Mike] Bobo’s offense is a little bit different from Malzahn’s,” Shenker said. “Not quite as bubble, spread, all that. Every day at practice we’ve gotten targets and our job is just to prove ourselves each and every day so that on the game day, the opportunity comes for us to get the ball more often. And certain days, if it doesn’t, it doesn’t. We play our role.”

Shenker brought up former tight end JJ Pegues, who has moved across the line of scrimmage to defensive tackle. Shenker says the transition has gone well and had no effect on Pegues's ability to make plays. 

“He’s handling it really well. Obviously, he’s a freak athlete and whatever position you put him at, he’s going to be really good at,” Shenker said. “We miss him a little, being that guy, but from what I’ve seen, he’s been really great over there for them and he’s going to make an impact.”

Landen King and Tyler Fromm were also topics of discussion that Shenker had high praise for. Regardless of time he may have missed with the team, the senior recognized growth the underclassmen have made from spring to fall, as well as their work ethic in continuing to improve throughout fall camp.

“Change is always good if you take it that way. I think the new coaching staff brought a new energy to the team than we’ve had in the past, but at the end of the day, football is football and you’ve got to complete your x’s and o’s. That’s what it comes down to,” Shenker said. “The tight ends have grown really close with coach Bedell. We love what he’s doing with us and within the offense.”

The public will have a chance to see the Tigers’ improvements on Aug. 28 with a free open practice and season kickoff event. Hosted by Golden Flake, the day will have a variety of activities outside Jordan-Hare beginning at noon, with gates then opening at 1 p.m. CST and practice beginning at 2 p.m. CST. 

Callie Stanford | Sports Writer

Callie Stanford is from Springville, Alabama and is currently a sophomore at Auburn. She has been with The Plainsman since January 2021.

Twitter: @Stanford1Callie

Share and discuss “John Samuel Shenker transitions back into football with a new staff to meet” on social media.