Phenix City man sentenced for distribution of child pornography

<p>Police tape surrounds a crime scene.</p>

Police tape surrounds a crime scene.

PHENIX CITY — A Phenix City man has been sentenced for distribution of child pornography, according to a press release from the U.S. Attorney's Office in Montgomery. The Federal Bureau of Investigation arrested Richard Ryan Jazek, 37, sentencing him to 151 months in prison followed by five years of supervised release.

Court records state that the FBI was informed in fall 2020 of a Kik messenger app user sharing images and videos of suspected child pornography, subsequently linking the user's account and IP address to Jazek.

"Further investigation revealed that Jazek’s Kik account had in fact uploaded multiple images and videos containing child pornography," said Doug Howard, law enforcement coordinator and public information officer for the U.S. Attorney's Office in Montgomery. "In his plea agreement, Jazek admitted specifically sharing a video on Sept. 22, 2020, and then sharing an image on Oct. 4, 2020."

Howard said court records indicated Jazek responded to other Kik app users after the two postings. and "made disturbing comments" in the chat section of videos and images he distributed. Howard said Jazek has been ordered to pay $27,000 in restitution, which is $3,000 to the nine victims identified in the content Jazek shared through the app. 

Tim Nail | Community Editor

Tim Nail, senior in journalism, is the community editor of The Auburn Plainsman.

@timmnail

community@theplainsman.com

timnail@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “Phenix City man sentenced for distribution of child pornography” on social media.