Police charge Auburn man with murder, seek second suspect in Thursday shooting

<p>Police tape surrounds a crime scene.</p>

Police tape surrounds a crime scene.

Update: Khalif Da'Quan Kellum surrendered to Auburn police at 7:15 p.m. Friday night, according to a press release from Auburn Assistant Police Chief Clarence Stewart.

Stewart said in the release Kellum has been transported to the Lee County Jail where he is being held on a $4,000 bond. Police are still investigating the case and ask anyone with additional information to call 334-501-3140 or call the APD's tip line at 334-246-1391.

Auburn police said they have arrested an Auburn man and are seeking the public's assistance for the whereabouts of an Opelika man in connection with a Thursday night shooting in south Auburn.

Jakavian Keon Brooks, 19, of Auburn, was arrested Friday and has been charged with murder in connection with the shooting death of 19-year-old Ca'Darius Deshun Whatley, Auburn police said. The Auburn Police Division additionally has outstanding warrants for Khalif Da'Quan Kellum, 22, of Opelika, in connection with the incident. Kellum has warrants for hindering prosecution first degree and tampering with physical evidence.

Police officers were called to the 1200 block of South College Street last night where they found Whatley, who had been shot in his upper torso. Whatley was living at his girlfriend's residence at The Beacon apartment complex, according to Lee County Deputy Coroner Gene Manning. Auburn Assistant Police Chief Clarence Stewart said in a press release Friday that an interaction led to Whatley being fatally shot the residence.

A following police investigation led to Brooks and Kellum being developed as suspects, Stewart said in a press release Friday. Stewart said Brooks was known to Whatley.

Whatley received first aid but died on scene Thursday night. His body was transported to the Lee County Coroner's Office, where he was pronounced dead at 8:33 p.m. Thursday, according to Manning.

Brooks is being held at the Lee County Detention Facility on a $151,000 bond. He was also arrested on an unrelated warrant for possession of a controlled substance, police said. Auburn police are still seeking Kellum, who is described as being about 6 feet tall and weighing about 315 pounds. 

Those with information about the investigation or information on Kellum's whereabouts are asked to contact Auburn police detectives at 334-501-3140, call APD's tip line at 334-246-1391 or call APD's 24-hour non-emergency number at 334-501-3100.

Tim Nail | Community Editor

Tim Nail, senior in journalism, is the community editor of The Auburn Plainsman.

@timmnail

community@theplainsman.com

timnail@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “Police charge Auburn man with murder, seek second suspect in Thursday shooting” on social media.