Police investigate fatal possible shooting in south Auburn

<p>Crime scene tape surrounds building 13 of The Beacon apartment complex in south Auburn, where police were investigating a fatal possible shooting Thursday night.</p>

Crime scene tape surrounds building 13 of The Beacon apartment complex in south Auburn, where police were investigating a fatal possible shooting Thursday night.

Auburn police said Thursday night they have taken a person of interest into custody in response to a possible shooting in south Auburn on Thursday evening.

Officers were dispatched to the 1200 block of South College Street at 5:57 p.m. Thursday, Auburn police said. Police were called to The Beacon apartment complex, according to Clarence Stewart, Auburn assistant chief of police. When they arrived, they found a 19-year-old male from Auburn who was shot in the upper torso.

The victim received first aid but died from his injuries on the scene, Auburn police said. He was not a college student, Stewart said. 

"We don't know [the motive]," Stewart said. "We're still conducting more aspects of the investigation."

There was still a police presence at the scene as of 11 p.m. Thursday, where crime scene tape surrounded building 13 of The Beacon.

The 19-year-old victim was taken to the Lee County Coroner's Office, where he was pronounced dead at 8:33 p.m., according to Lee County Deputy Coroner Gene Manning.

Manning said the victim is being transported to the Alabama Department of Forensic Sciences in Montgomery for an autopsy Friday.

Police said they determined through a following investigation the victim had interacted with two acquaintances known to him, and one of those individuals shot him.

"There is no known threat to the community," Stewart said in a release Thursday night.

Stewart said police are working with the Lee County District Attorney's Office to determine charges.

Those with information about the possible shooting are asked to contact the Auburn Police Division at 334-501-3140 or the APD's tip line at 334-246-1391.

Tim Nail | Community Editor

Tim Nail, senior in journalism, is the community editor of The Auburn Plainsman.

@timmnail

community@theplainsman.com

timnail@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “Police investigate fatal possible shooting in south Auburn” on social media.