Tight end Luke Deal 'comfortable and confident' heading into 2021 season

Luke Deal (86)
Auburn practice on Wednesday, April 14, 2021 in Auburn, Ala.
Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics
Luke Deal (86) Auburn practice on Wednesday, April 14, 2021 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

In the past for Auburn, the tight end position has been almost solely used for blocking. Under previous head coach Gus Malzahn, tight ends paved the way for the run game but contributed sparingly in the passing attack. Now, with head coach Bryan Harsin and offensive coordinator Mike Bobo in charge, the tight end position has received a complete overhaul. 

And sophomore tight end Luke Deal couldn’t be more excited. 

“When they first introduced the offense to us, the main points were downhill, physical run game, just a pro-style offense,” Deal said. “It had everybody really excited when it was introduced to us. Being in it in the spring and more so now through camp, it's been so awesome. It's been something that I think every tight end will enjoy throughout the season. We're really enjoying it.”

Deal is one of seven tight ends on the roster, seeing his first game action last year in his redshirt freshman season. To his credit, Deal only has two receptions for 11 yards in two seasons, but he doesn’t expect those numbers to stay the same once the 2021 season begins. 

“I definitely feel more comfortable, more confident,” Deal said. “You can’t say enough about just team experience, being able to go out there and run those routes in practice, execute, which you need to execute. Like I said, just a lot more confident and I feel a lot better about it.”

Alongside catching passes, the tight end group has been getting a lot of practice action as fullbacks, making holes for guys like Tank Bigsby and Shaun Shivers. Deal has not played the true fullback position in a long time, but a smile grew across his face when asked about it. 

“I definitely enjoy it,” Deal said. “I played a little bit of in high school. I really, really enjoy it. It is really great. It brings that physicality and toughness to our offense that we really need.” 

Since coming to campus, Harsin and his staff have been open about making big changes to the tight end position. Tight end coach Brad Bedell has been extremely vocal and the team has been seen using multiple tight end sets at times, even putting one to two tight ends in motion pre-snap. The possibilities for the tight end position heading into the season seem to be almost endless in the eyes of Deal and those in the tight end room. 

“Coach Bedell has said before, he doesn’t like designating certain roles for certain people,” Deal said. “There are definitely different attributes that each one of these guys, including myself, brings to the table. It’s real interesting to see all of the different personnel that we can come out and be able to try to dominate the defense with. I love it. I think we’ve got so much unique talent across the board, unique skill set. I’m really enjoying what this room is doing.”

There is no telling what exactly to expect from the revamped tight end room heading into Auburn’s first game against Akron. But when guys like John Samuel Shenker, Tyler Fromm or Deal take the field, anything is possible. 

“Personally I am excited,” Deal said. “We’re just ready to start off 1-0 against Akron.”

Henry Zimmer | Sports Reporter

Henry Zimmer is from Jacksonville, Florida, and is currently in his fifth year with The Plainsman. He is currently the Sports Reporter and can be followed on Twitter here: @henryzimmer

Share and discuss “Tight end Luke Deal 'comfortable and confident' heading into 2021 season” on social media.