Iron Bowl 1989: the first Iron Bowl at Jordan-Hare Stadium

<p>Auburn fans celebrate their 30-20 victory over Alabama in the Iron Bowl at Jordan-Hare Stadium on Dec. 2, 1989. (Birmingham News file photo by Steve Barnette)</p>

Auburn fans celebrate their 30-20 victory over Alabama in the Iron Bowl at Jordan-Hare Stadium on Dec. 2, 1989. (Birmingham News file photo by Steve Barnette)

It was a cold, cloudy day in December when the University of Alabama traveled to Auburn for the first time in the Iron Bowl’s history. It was so cold that some Alabama fans bought Auburn gear to fight the cold.

"Funny memory of the game for us was seeing Alabama fans so cold that they were actually buying Auburn merchandise to stay warm," Auburn fan Barbara Wingard said.

No one thought it could ever be done, but the day had finally arrived. Auburn fans were so relieved to see one of college football’s greatest rivalries played on campus, something that head coach Pat Dye had wanted for years. Anticipation was souring, and emotions were high. 

The atmosphere was one like no one had ever seen. “Welcome to Auburn” signs could be seen on interstate overpasses.

"The signs they hung off the overpasses cheering them in from Montgomery and coming in ranked No. 2," Auburn fan Nelson Williams remembers. "Nobody gave us a chance, the stadium was crazy with the Pom Pom’s floating around."

People arrived in Auburn days in advance to tailgate throughout the week. It was almost impossible to drive around town during the week it was so crowded. A large crowd was present at Tiger Walk as people were hanging out of trees to watch the traditional walkthrough. 

"The thunderous boo that was heard when Alabama buses got to the game," Auburn fan Carson Grier, who attended the game, said. "There was no way Bama was getting out of Auburn with a win."

Students were lined up outside the stadium before 7 a.m. to get a perfect spot in the student section. No one was willing to miss this chance after years of watching the Iron Bowl at Birmingham’s Legion Field – where Alabama often played its biggest home games. 

Those who got into Jordan-Hare Stadium quickly filled up every seat two hours before kickoff. Fans experiencing their first game and fans that had been going for years, all of them could only describe the atmosphere as “electric.” 

Voices were gone before kickoff. Orange and blue haze from the paper shakers clouded the air as the teams took the field. 

The Crimson Tide came in ranked No. 2 in the country, and No. 11 Auburn had one thing on its mind – spoil the Tide’s national championship hopes and take a share of the SEC title for the third straight year. 

Auburn’s crowd went into a frenzy after quarterback Reggie Slack hit Alexander “Ace” Wright down the sideline to set up a one-yard touchdown from James Joseph for the Tigers. Reality had hit the Auburn fans, this was really happening, and they knew they could have an impact on the game.

"We, as the Auburn fans, literally willed the team to win that game," Grier said.

Halftime struck, and Alabama held a three-point lead. Everyone in a packed restroom in the north endzone was visibly nervous. 

But Auburn took control of the game in the third quarter scoring ten unanswered points and another touchdown early in the fourth quarter. 

Alabama had cut the lead to seven with a couple of minutes left, as the nerves crept back in, but backup quarterback Frank McIntosh recovered Alabama’s onside kick for Auburn.

Then, Auburn kicker Win Lyle nailed the dagger field goal to send Bill Curry’s Crimson Tide home as a loser of the Iron Bowl for a third straight year, by a score of 30-20. 

The Iron Bowl has its history of iconic moments, but this was the moment Auburn was allowed to kill the narrative of not being big enough or good enough to play its biggest game at home. 

Many fans that attended that game in 1989 will still say that Iron Bowl holds a greater significance in their mind than any other Iron Bowl. After all, the game is known to some as the most emotional day in Auburn football history. 

Auburn has had its fair share of big games in Jordan-Hare Stadium, but none may never match the meaning that the 1989 Iron Bowl had to Auburn fans.

"It was the best game at Jordan-Hare I've ever seen," lifelong Auburn supporter Bret Pippen claimed. "That includes the Kick Six, Prayer at Jordan-Hare, etc."

Jacob Waters | Sports Reporter

Jacob is a sophomore from Leeds, Alabama. This is his second year with The Auburn Plainsman. 

Twitter: @JacobWaters_

Share and discuss “Iron Bowl 1989: the first Iron Bowl at Jordan-Hare Stadium” on social media.