Local farmers' markets provide produce from the Plains

<p>Community garden flowers at O-Grows.</p>

Community garden flowers at O-Grows.

With the weather cooling down in Auburn, it is time to get outside and pick up some produce for some fall recipes. Hornsby Farms, Parkway Farmers’ Market and Opelika Grows are three fall markets that Lee County locals should try. 

At O-Grows, broccoli, cauliflower and cabbages are staples this fall season. Since O-Grows is a community garden, there are also individual plots for people to grow their own fruits and vegetables for the fall. 

At Hornsby Farms, one can look forward to the pepper jellies for some spice this fall. Their most popular pepper jellies right now are the peach habañero and the sweet heat strawberry jalapeño.

Hornsby Farms even offers delivery options to bring their jams, jellies and produce baskets to anyone in the Auburn-Opelika area. 

At Parkway Farms, the fall season can truly be celebrated with essentials such as acorn, spaghetti and butternut squash, muscadine and scuppernong grapes and pumpkins. 

These fall products are great additions to any cookout, tailgate or other fall get-together. The Hornsby jellies can be used in a variety of dishes such as a glaze for grilled pork or chicken, a fun cocktail mixer or a dip for crackers served with cream cheese. 

Parkway Farms squash can be used in a tasty butternut squash soup that is sure to get one in the fall spirit. At O-Grows, one can use the vegetables as side items to a delicious meal, or plant one’s own garden to organically gather ingredients for their own recipes. 

Taking the time to escape to a farmers’ market allows one to slow down and appreciate the outdoors in a peaceful setting.

“Fall is such a fun season for the farm,” said Beth Hornsby of Hornsby Farms. “Summer vegetables are slowing, temperatures are dropping and the new season brings a certain beauty to the farm that reminds me of simpler times.” 

Sean Forbes, a founder of O-Grows, said that the community garden is a “soothing, positive environment with people who are happy to be there.” 

“The thing I love about Parkway Farmers Market is the interactions with the customers, talking about recipes and how to cook this and how they cook that,” said Patrick Jacobs, assistant manager at Parkway. 

Farmers’ markets are not only a fun fall activity but also benefit the community. At Hornsby Farms, the family-owned business focuses on the community by allowing the public to “put a face with agriculture” and connect with other local farmers. 

“It allows us to connect with our community and talk about why we love farming and why it is so important,” said Hornsby.  

Parkway Farmers’ Market benefits the community by making sure they are providing the freshest produce and supplying restaurants and bars with locally grown foods. 

Because it is a community garden associated with Auburn University, O-Grows is able to help the community by addressing the food insecurity in Auburn. 

“There is a real food security need in this area, and [he] genuinely appreciates getting to leverage university resources to impact the community,” Forbes said.

Emma Hall | News Writer
Plainsman Pass for Writer 3/1/22

Emma Hall is a news writer for The Auburn Plainsman. 

Share and discuss “Local farmers' markets provide produce from the Plains” on social media.