Tiger Stomp returns to The Plains

<p>Tiger Stomp took place at Beard-Eaves-Memorial Coliseum this year.</p>

Tiger Stomp took place at Beard-Eaves-Memorial Coliseum this year.

The annual Tiger Stomp event returned and was held Nov. 12-13 in the Beard-Eaves Memorial Coliseum on Auburn University’s campus.

According to event chairperson, Lane Jemison, the event dates back to 2019. However, the event has not been produced in the past two years due to COVID-19. 

“This event invites home team and visiting divine nine (D9) orgs from Alabama and neighboring states to participate in a step show to showcase their chapter’s abilities to step and stroll while battling for bragging rights and a cash prize,” Jemison said.

He also noted the chapters are selected randomly through a drawing to determine the order in which they will perform.

"Stepping is a form of technique where an individual uses their body as an instrument to form a series of rhythmic sounds and movements via footsteps, hand-clapping, and spoken word,” Jemison said.

According to the Tiger Stomp website, stepping also includes stories, themes and stunts. The show featured a comical and entertaining host to carry the audience through the duration of the show.

“It gives me the first-hand excitement and enjoyment from movies I’ve watched such as 'Stomp the Yard' and 'You got Served,'" Jemison said. "I love to see orgs go head to head and compete with their different themes and steps."

The website notes stepping is an expressive art form as well as a way or ritual to establish group identity for many of the National Pan-Hellenic Council organizations. 

“Personally, Tiger Stomp signifies Greek Unity and a good idea of what friendly competition is to me,” Jemison said.

Event planning began two to three months in advance. A Tiger Stomp committee was formed by a member from each National Pan-Hellenic Council. 

They were responsible for regulations, invitations, applications, vendors, photographers, hosts and marketing for the event. The committee was also responsible for any logistics concerning the event.

The National Pan-Hellenic Council worked together with the Black Alumni Weekend to host the Tiger Stomp step show. 

According to the Auburn alumni website, Black Alumni weekend is a time to celebrate “the heritage, culture and legacy of Black alumni and forge the future for Black students at Auburn University."

Their Instagram, @aunphc, provides “6 Things to Know” before attending Tiger Stomp. 

The event was open to everyone and was free for Auburn students with the use of their event pass for check-in. All visiting students must present their student identification, and no outside food or drink was allowed in the coliseum. Masks were required.

“It's such a great way for everyone to come out and support their respective org and members, '' Jemison said. 

Becca Benner | Culture Writer

Becca Benner, senior in public relations with a minor inmarketing, is a culture writer at The Auburn Plainsman. 

Share and discuss “Tiger Stomp returns to The Plains” on social media.