Three Tigers earn honors from WCGA

<p>Jan. 28, 2022; The Auburn gymnastics team celebrates a win over Alabama from Auburn Arena in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Jan. 28, 2022; The Auburn gymnastics team celebrates a win over Alabama from Auburn Arena in Auburn, Ala.

Senior Derrian Gobourne and freshman Suni Lee and Sophia Groth added to their list of accolades this season, as all three were named regular season All-Americans by the Women’s Collegiate Gymnastics Association. 

Lee added four honors and Goboure and Groth each earned one.

Lee was named First Team All-American in all-around, bars and beam. She also was named second team on floor. 

Gobourne was named to the first team on floor and Groth earned first team on beam. 

Student-athletes with the top eight National Qualifying Scores earn first team honors, while second team is awarded to those who rank No. 9 through 16.

“What amazing awards for these student-athletes and for this team,” said head coach Jeff Graba. “I’m so proud and thankful for what these three have brought to our program. They are definitely deserving and are continuing to put their names down in program history.”

Auburn has earned six All-American honors in one season, good for most in program history. 

With a final NQS of 9.970, Lee finished first nationally on bars. Lee scored two perfect 10.0s on the season as well as two 9.975s and two 9.95s.

The Minnesotan also finished tied for first on beam nationally with a 9.980 NQS, scoring two 10.0s and four 9.975s. 

Lee’s all-around NQS of 39.750 came in second nationally, with six of her meets at 39.7 or higher, including a program-record 39.825.

On floor, Lee’s 9.95 NQS finished her in a tie for ninth to take home second team honors. She finished with five scores of 9.95 or better on the season.

For Gobourne, her first team recognition on the floor is the second-straight honor for her in that event. She now has four total honors, with a first team honor for floor in 2021 and 2022, a second team honor on bars in 2020 and a first team honor on vault in 2019. 

The senior finished the regular season with a 9.955 NQS on the floor to tie for seventh overall. She earned the first 10.0 of her career in a regular season match against Florida and had two scores of 9.975 and three of 9.95 on the season. 

Groth picked up her first career All-American nod on the beam, as the team’s most consistent in the event. She finished seventh nationally with an NQS of 9.95 and joins Lee on the first team list. 

Groth picked up six scores of 9.95 on the season, and earned a 9.9 or better in 10 of 11 meets she competed in on the year. 

Share and discuss “Three Tigers earn honors from WCGA” on social media.