Tigers to compete at home in NCAA Regional

Auburn fans react during a gymnastics meet between Auburn and Kentucky in Neville Arena on Feb. 25.

The No. 7 Auburn gymnastics team has been seeded for the NCAA postseason. 

Auburn will be a No. 2 seed in the regional, held in Auburn’s own Neville Arena, from March 30 to April 2. 

“We’re looking forward to competing in the NCAA Championship and especially looking forward to being at home,” said head coach Jeff Graba. “We already knew we were going to be in the afternoon session with Kentucky so we’ve been preparing for that.”

The three-day tournament will begin with the first round featuring Iowa State and Western Michigan. The winner will advance to the second round, starting March 31. 

The afternoon session on March 31 will begin at 1 p.m. CT and will feature No. 2 Auburn, No. 3 Kentucky, Georgia and Southern Utah. 

“We’re just soaking it all in that we’re in postseason and we know it’s go time,” said Sophia Groth. “We’re excited to compete at home and excited to really knock it out at regionals.”

The evening session of round two will begin at 7 p.m. CT and will feature No. 1 seed Florida, No. 4 seed Denver and Ohio State, along with the winner of day one. 

Individual gymnasts from Central Michigan, Kent State, New Hampshire, Long Island and Brown will all compete on Thursday. 

The top two teams from each second-round session will advance to the Sweet Sixteen at 5 p.m. CT on April 2. The top two teams from that session will then go on to the NCAA Championships, April 15-16, in Fort Worth, Texas. 

“You have to be really good this time of year,” Graba said. “This is the national tournament. You don’t make this tournament without earning it and battling through the regular season. Everyone is fully capable of beating everyone else, so we need to be on top of our game.”

Tickets for the tournament can be found at https://auburntigers.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventList?groupCode=GREG&linkID=auburn&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode=

Share and discuss “Tigers to compete at home in NCAA Regional” on social media.