A guide to Auburn's Homecoming weekend

<p>Auburn University Marching Band performs during the Homecoming Parade on Friday, Sept. 15, 2017 in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Auburn University Marching Band performs during the Homecoming Parade on Friday, Sept. 15, 2017 in Auburn, Ala.

Auburn University's homecoming will take place this year on Sept. 24, at the same time as Fall Family Weekend, which is held from Sept. 23 to Sept. 25. 

“My favorite part about homecoming weekend in Auburn is the community excitement,” said Auburn Cheerleader Julianna Perrigo. 

Perrigo will be participating in the Homecoming Parade and pep rally, along with cheering on the Tigers on the sidelines on Saturday. 

The parade and pep rally will be held on Friday, Sept. 23 from 6-7 p.m, and will be locared Downtown Auburn. The Auburn University Tiger Paws, cheerleaders and marching band will all parade down the streets of Auburn. 

Floats from various on and off-campus organizations within the Auburn community will also make their way through the streets. 

“The homecoming parade gets everyone in the community up, involved and excited,” Perrigo said. “I love performing in front of Samford with the whole band while getting to see all of the excited, smiling faces of the little girls watching.”

According to Perrigo, the best place to watch the parade is in front of Samford Hall. The participants of the parade will present the pep rally after their short loop around Auburn. 

At the SouthEastern Raptor Center, “Football, Fans and Feathers” will be held from 4-5 p.m. at the 350-seat Edgar B. Carter Educational Amphitheater. The Amphitheater is located at 1350 Pratt-Carden Drive, off Shug Jordan Parkway. This kid-friendly event will showcase eagles, raptors and other birds flying around the amphitheater. Tickets will be $8 per person and are available online or upon entry. 

On Saturday, Sept. 24, the Auburn Alumni Tailgate will be held in the Auburn Alumni Center. The tailgate will be open 3 hours before kickoff and alumni can purchase food and beverages. 

“It is the most exciting football game of the year in my opinion — besides the Iron Bowl of course,” Perrigo said. 

There will also be the Auburn University Parent and Family Association Tailgate held on Cater Lawn. This tailgate will include games, food, live music and Aubie the Tiger will be stopping by. 

Guests are required to register in advance, and the event will be held 3 hours prior to kickoff. 

This will be the largest tailgate on campus in the spirit of Fall Family Weekend and the Auburn Homecoming game. 

Auburn University’s Miss Homecoming will be announced at the Auburn vs Missouri game during halftime. Miss Homecoming is a longstanding tradition at Auburn and is voted on by students to represent the university. 

The five candidates for Miss Homecoming spend three days leading up to the game campaigning on Haley concourse and speaking about their platforms.

Auburn's home game traditions will also still be in motion on this fun-filled weekend. The Friday Football luncheons, Tiger Walk and eagle flight at kickoff will still occur in addition to the Homecoming festivities. 

Virginia Shea | Culture Writer

Virginia Shea, sophomore in pre-public relations, is a culture writer at The Auburn Plainsman. 

Share and discuss “A guide to Auburn's Homecoming weekend” on social media.