SGA Senate confirms judicial nominees and liaison for BSU

<p>SGA Senate meets on Sept. 14, 2020, in Auburn, Ala.</p>

SGA Senate meets on Sept. 14, 2020, in Auburn, Ala.

The Auburn Student Government Association Senate met on Monday evening to discuss the confirmation of a new liaison for the Black Student Union, a request for additional funding for the Freshman Forum retreat program expansion fund and confirmations of judicial board nominees.

Diani Bailey, sophomore in health services administration, was unanimously confirmed as the liaison for the BSU. 

“I love everything about BSU, it’s really made me feel included on this campus,” Bailey said. “This is why it’s so important for BSU to have a liaison, so that I can be the advocate for BSU and the bridge between SGA and BSU.” 

As part of its mission to represent Black student interests and concerns at Auburn University, the BSU encourages the involvement of Black students in all campus activities, discourages institutional, individual and symbolic racism, promotes excellence and strengthens friendships between all races.

The Senate also approved the allocation of $276 for the retreat program expansion fund. The funding will go towards the purchase of a cookie cake, lemonade, introductory materials and popsicles for the Freshman Forum retreat to be held for the Class of 2026.

During the meeting, eleven total judicial board confirmations were made and unanimously approved. Justin Martin was confirmed as chief justice, Josh Wallace was confirmed as attorney general and Isabel Zecher was confirmed as secretary. 

Associate Justices Sydney Jeffcoat, Chandler Ogles, Natalie White, Kensley Davis, Virginia Worthington and Ann Mason Smith were confirmed in addition to Alternative Associated Justices Loren Lindsey, Gabriella LaRocca and Clara Ragan.

According to its website, the Judicial Branch maintains jurisdiction over the SGA Constitution and Code of Laws and is part of a system of checks and balances within the SGA.

Jason Hicks, a former Provost fellow in the Office of Academic Affairs at Louisiana State University, was also officially announced to the Senate as the new dean of the College of Liberal Arts. Hicks assumed the position on July 1, 2022.

In April when he was selected for the position, Hicks said, "I am extremely honored to accept this leadership opportunity. The College of Liberal Arts is truly integral to the University's success. I am eager to enhance the college's positive impact on students, staff, faculty, and alumni of the college."  

This official announcement to the Senate comes in the context of significant turnover in the past few months as Auburn University announced a new acting dean in the College of Architecture, Design and Construction, and interim deans in the Harbert College of Business, and the Samuel Ginn College of Engineering. 

Daniel Schmidt | Assistant News Editor

Daniel Schmidt, senior in journalism, is the assistant news editor for the Auburn Plainsman. 

Share and discuss “SGA Senate confirms judicial nominees and liaison for BSU” on social media.