This fall's must-have game day trends

<p>Why do we dress up for some sports, while others we opt for a t-shirt and jeans?</p>

Why do we dress up for some sports, while others we opt for a t-shirt and jeans?

Football season is here, meaning game day pieces are in demand for students and residents. Downtown Auburn houses the three boutiques that provide the options needed to look stylish in the stands of Jordan-Hare. 

Ellie Boutique, Behind the Glass and Charming Oaks have served as staples in Auburn football season for the past few years. 

“One thing we had that was really popular last year was smocked ruffle skorts. This year, it has turned to ruffle skort, but with a drawstring instead of the smocking,” said Colby Martin, Auburn University junior and sales associate at Ellie Boutique.

After working at Ellie Boutique last football season, Martin knows what to expect this season.

“The main one (trend) is going to be sequins. You may even see a full sequin dress or top,” Martin said.

At Behind the Glass Boutique, Mari Miles Dempsey, sales associate, and Auburn University sophomore emphasized the popularity of cowgirl boots and how they add a southern touch to any game-day look.

“With cowgirl boots, I would wear a fun, flouncy skirt or white dress. Maybe some lace and something not so fitted,” Dempsey said.

Martin adds that tall boots in general are going to be a popular game day trend. White, specifically, is her favorite.

“Feather skirts are really big this year,” said Jordyn Croley, Auburn University junior and sales associate at Charming Oaks. 

Croley provided the example of a navy and sequin feather skirt in the store, paired with a white shirt with a sequin tiger in front.

When it comes to pairing the university’s colors of orange and navy, all three boutiques emphasized the importance of incorporating neutrals in a gamely outfit. 

“Pairing brown leather or brown bottoms with orange, navy, or both go really well,” Dempsey said.

Pleather, a vegan alternative to traditional leather, is another material matched with orange and navy and is recommended by Martin for night games. 

“You will see a lot of pleather bottoms and dresses,” Martin said. “With it being fall, you can lean more towards a rust color, instead of a true orange. You can do a white top and rust shorts with blue accessories, like a bandana scarf."

Martin also emphasized the importance of accessories to complete a game day outfit.

“If you want to do a true bright orange, you could do a white top and bright orange shorts with the navy accessories,” Martin said.

“I would do orange and white or navy and white," Dempsey said.

Dempsey also displayed orange and navy coordinated outfits offered at Behind the Glass to show options for a full-out orange and navy look.

Dempsey also shared advice on how to style an outfit according to the Alabama heat. 

“When choosing your outfit, it is important to look at the material because heavy denim is going to make you very sweaty. Really soft or super thick textures are not going to feel light. Thin cotton or tule ventilates really well, so you do not feel weighed down by your clothes,” Dempsey said. 

Leather is one of the heavier fabrics, making it suitable for cold or night games.

“I would try to avoid leather (on hot game days), just because you are going to sweat so much. I would also try to avoid silk because when you sweat it will stick to the silk and take a while to dry,” said Martin.

To stay cool in the heat, flowy outfits are a popular option at all three boutiques.

“I would stick to dresses and rompers since they’re airy,” Martin said.

The biggest takeaway trends are sequins, tall boots, and a balance of neutrals and Auburn colors for upcoming trends for Auburn game days this fall. Visit all three boutiques downtown to find this year's go-to game-day outfit.

Piper Bosart | Assistant Culture Editor

Piper Bosart, junior in journalism, is the assistant culture editor for The Auburn Plainsman. She has been with The Plainsman since January, 2022.

Share and discuss “This fall's must-have game day trends” on social media.