EDITORIAL | Tuition is increasing — why aren't scholarships?

Whether it be filling a car with gas, stocking up on groceries, paying housing expenses or maintaining decent health and hygiene, the cost of completing everyday acts is rising at an overwhelming rate.

According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, consumer prices for food increased 8.8% in March this year, the largest 12-month advance since May 1981. 

The “now hiring” advertisements on the doors of fast-food restaurants, grocery stores and automotive shops seem to stick out more each day as the dire need for sufficient income continues to haunt so many. If gas prices didn’t catch your eye before, they probably do now. 

The cost of simply being alive continues to grow steeper, and it doesn’t discriminate—not even if you’re a college student. 

On Sept. 16 this year, Auburn University announced its acceptance of a 3% increase for tuition and fees for the 2023-2024 school year. 

This came after a 3% increase for the 2022-2023 school year as well. 

According to an Auburn University press release, these increases were passed after the Auburn University Board of Trustees approved the university’s “largest budget to date—$1.593 billion—for fiscal year 2023.” 

It is important to note, however, that expenses and costs aren’t the only things increasing for Auburn University. 

Along with the increase in tuition was a $27.3 million increase in state appropriations for fiscal year 2023—which followed a $51 million increase in state appropriations for fiscal year 2022, the largest increase in the last 10 years.

It makes sense that the University has taken steps to offset inflation and stay on top of its finances. 

However, the students relying on institutional scholarships should not be left to make up the difference when the money they were granted no longer covers the cost they planned for.  

Other universities, such as Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, Virginia, have worked to accommodate students in their efforts to keep up with the financial state of the country. Following their 3% tuition increase for all in-state undergraduate students for the 2022-2023 academic year, they provided one-time scholarships to students affected in order to offset the cost. 

So why can’t a university such as Auburn with a $1 billion endowment increase its institutional scholarships at the same rate as tuition?

If Auburn University can build a brand-new state-of-the-art football facility, culinary science school and pay for the demolition and remodeling of dorms in four of its five residential communities, it can increase its institutional scholarships at the same rate as tuition—which you be reminded—is by 3%.

“It is critical that we continue to attract high-achieving students while enhancing access and affordability. This is particularly important given our land-grant mission and our commitment to the citizens we serve,” said President Christopher Roberts in an introduction video released by Auburn May 16.

However, according to the Office of University Scholarships, Auburn does not have plans to increase its scholarships at this time.

A simple step the University can take to achieve the goals of its new president is to increase the institutional scholarships it awards those students it claims to care about so much. 

If the university truly values its current and future “high-achieving students,” it needs to show them they are worth it. 

Editorials represent the majority view of The Plainsman's editorial board and do not necessarily represent that of the entire newsroom. 

Editorial Board | Fall 2022

Share and discuss “EDITORIAL | Tuition is increasing — why aren't scholarships? ” on social media.