Auburn students share their advice for formal season

Spring brings the season of sorority formals. As everyone gets their dresses and heels prepped, here are some tips to have the most fun at formal. 

Riley Sue, sophomore in nutrition, gave some advice for picking a date to formal. When deciding who to bring, make sure to keep this in mind. 

“Don’t ask a random guy or girl to the formal. Instead of taking someone random, take someone you know you will have a good time with," Sue said. "Don’t just ask someone you think is attractive, bring someone you know so you can have a good time and aren’t left alone at your own event.” 

Erica Fogul, junior in social work, talked about the importance of what shoes to wear to formal since most people are on their feet the entire night. 

“For pictures we always wear heels or dressy shoes, and then after pictures we always change into fashionable sneakers!” Fogul said. 

Start the night in heels and end it in some comfortable sneakers that won’t blister on the dance floor.

Lauren Thompson, sophomore in biomedical science, shared what she thought freshmen should know going into their first formal.

“Some advice I would give to freshmen going to formal would be to just be yourself and have fun! Formal is like college prom, a chance to get dressed up with your friends to enjoy a no-stress evening," Thompson said. "Everyone needs a break from the stress of college, and formal definitely can be that break.”

Thompson said formal is the perfect evening to just get out of your comfort zone and enjoy a night off from everything around. 

“Get all of your work done for the weekend before the night of formal work so you don't have to worry about assignments," Thompson said. "Formal can also be a night where you put yourself out there. Don't be afraid to let loose and dance!”

Chapel Taylor, junior in public relations, said that formal only happens four times during one's time at Auburn so you might as well take as many photos as possible to remember this beloved time with sorority sisters.

Emma Norwood, sophomore in nursing, also talked about how special this night is with friends.

“The best advice for freshmen going to formal is to not try to make it this magical perfect night, enjoy the time you have with your friends and savor every moment,” Norwood said.

Madison McAllister, Auburn alumna, shared some things she has learned after four formals that she thinks are the biggest takeaways.  

“Don’t bring uninvited guests and don’t leave early!" McAllister said. "You only get four of these, if even. Dance the night away. And you paid for it so might as well.” 

It is very important to prep before formal in order to have a good night ahead.

“Do eat dinner. Go out to dinner with your group after pictures or even if it’s a Grubhub while you get ready. You need to eat!" McAllister said. "Gift your date with the event's t-shirt. Just a nice thing to do if they want it. Most importantly hydrate!”

Share and discuss “Auburn students share their advice for formal season” on social media.