Auburn Panhellenic Bid Day 2023 Recap

<p>Over 1,700 freshman ran home to a sorority during Auburn Panhellenic's bid day on Aug. 14, 2023. &nbsp;</p>

Over 1,700 freshman ran home to a sorority during Auburn Panhellenic's bid day on Aug. 14, 2023.  

A record number of potential new members (PNMs) went through primary recruitment, which means the largest bid day ever for Auburn University Panhellenic. More bids will be handed out this year than any other, and the new member classes in each sorority will be even bigger than the last. 

According to Auburn Greek Life, 1,894 registered for recruitment, with 1,735 PNMs who matched with a sorority at the end. This has left 92 percent of the PNMs matched with one of the 18 sororities.

To prepare for the day, sorority members arrive at their chapter rooms in the morning and wait for the lists of their new members to be sent.

Hallie Azar, junior member of Phi Mu majoring in interior design, said that going to sleep early helped her maintain high energy levels during recruitment.

Active members arrive at their chapter rooms in the morning to prepare for the big day and reflect on their week recruiting. Kelly Schools, sophomore in Kappa Kappa Gamma and majoring in public relations, reflected on the recruitment process from the perspective of a recruiter. 

“We got to meet so many girls and got to get closer with people, like I met so many older girls where I feel like during the regular year, you’re usually with your member class. But during recruitment, you get to meet older girls, which I really liked because it made Kappa feel more like a big friend group,” Schools said. 

Maddie Bentley, senior member of Chi Omega, majoring in public relations, could not wait for the new members to run home. 

“I’m so excited to see all of the upcoming freshmen come back and see the excitement on their faces. It’s so encouraging and exciting as a senior because everything they have to look forward to,” Bentley said. 

At 1:50 p.m., pi chis gathered their group of girls and sat together in Neville Arena to receive their bids. When PNMs, now new members, opened their bids at 2 p.m., they ran through the sorority village to find their sorority and their bid day buddies. 

Bid day buddies spend the day with the assigned new member(s) to get them comfortable with their new sisters. 

Pi chis also ran back to their sororities after spending recruitment with their groups. The sorority village flooded with new members, family and friends to celebrate. 

Mallory Sacco, a freshman majoring in interior design, ran home to Delta Delta Delta to her bid day buddy, Hailey Ogle. 

“I truly feel at home right now. I’m surrounded by so many people that I love and people that I know that I’ll love in the future,” Sacco said. 

Sacco was thrilled to meet her forever best friends.

Ogle, sophomore Delta Delta Delta member majoring in aviation management, could not be more excited to welcome Sacco into her sorority. 

“I’ve been in love with Mallory since I met her, so I’m so glad,” Ogle said. 

With recruitment over, new members will start their new member period before initiation to feel out their new sororities. 

For those who dropped from recruitment, did not register, or are still looking to join, continuous open bidding (COB) is another rush process open during the school year. 

Piper Bosart | Assistant Culture Editor

Piper Bosart, junior in journalism, is the assistant culture editor for The Auburn Plainsman. She has been with The Plainsman since January, 2022.

Share and discuss “Auburn Panhellenic Bid Day 2023 Recap” on social media.