'Competition does nothing but bring the best out of everyone': Tate Johnson previews guard positions

Jalil Irvin (50), Zykeivous Walker (3) and Tate Johnson (54)
Auburn football practice on Wednesday, March 24, 2021 in Auburn, Ala.
Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics
Jalil Irvin (50), Zykeivous Walker (3) and Tate Johnson (54) Auburn football practice on Wednesday, March 24, 2021 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Day five of fall practices wrapped up Tuesday afternoon, and position battles are still ongoing on both sides of the ball. The quarterback, linebacker, defensive line and wide receivers positions are a few groups that are battling, but another is the guard position.

Between Tate Johnson, Kameron Stutts, Jaden Muskrat and Jeremiah Wright, all four veterans are fighting to grab either the left or right starting guard position.

Auburn opened the first couple of practices with Johnson starting at left guard and Stutts on the right, but on Tuesday, Wright worked into the first team with Stutts still at right guard as the competition heats up. Muskrat, a transfer from Tulsa, continued working with the second team at right guard.

“There's a ton of us and I feel like that's great,” Johnson said. “Me, Jeremiah, Muskie (Muskrat), E.J. (Harris), Kam Stutts, all these guards that are battling for the guard spot. It's awesome. And the thing about it is, all these guys are super talented. And competition does nothing but bring the best out of everyone.”

Muskrat was a late addition for the Tigers, joining the team in May and missing spring practices, but brings valuable experience and athleticism to offensive line coach Jake Thornton’s group. At 6-foot-3, 302 pounds, Muskrat started nine games at tackle for Tulsa in 2022 and has worked at both guard and tackle during fall, showcasing his ability to play all over the offensive line.

“He is very athletic, and that is a super good quality for an inside guy,” Johnson said. “And the thing about Jaden is, he brings it everyday. He comes out to practice, and he goes hard every rep no matter what. And that is something you want to see as an offensive lineman, going hard all the time… He’s just done great so far.”

Johnson said on Tuesday that he’s mostly been practicing at left guard with Wright while Muskrat and Stutts have been getting reps at right guard. Johnson suffered an elbow injury during the 2022 season and missed the remainder of the season plus part of spring, while Wright was dealing with his own injury during the spring and was limited.

With both healthy again, Johnson believes finally getting back on the field regularly will help both of them return to their previous form.

“I feel like with both of us, it’s just a matter of getting in a groove,” Johnson said. “... when you kind of get in a groove of playing football, it makes it easier, so I think that’s just the biggest thing for me and him both, is getting back out there, getting in the heat, getting down on the line and taking the reps. I feel like we’re adjusting well.”

Regardless of who eventually wins the starting jobs at left and right guard, Thornton has told his group of linemen that everyone must be prepared to make an impact. Auburn battled injuries last season among the offensive line and wants to make sure it's ready if that happens again.

“Anyone that knows anything about SEC football is: when have you ever seen five guys play every snap the whole year?” Johnson said. “So, there's not going to be five guys play the whole year, someone's gonna have to come in and play at some point. And as we saw last year, we got pretty down, so that's what Coach Thornton preaches too, is everyone's gotta stay ready. Everyone's gotta be ready for when your name is called.”

With four guys vying for two positions, competition is stiff, but it’s forcing Johnson, Stutts, Wright and Muskrat to bring their best game to practice everyday in hopes of locking up a starting spot for week one of the 2023 season.

“If everyone's bringing it every day, you can't just come in and take a day off,” Johnson said. “You have to bring your best every day to make sure no one's pulling ahead of you. So I feel like that's what the competition has done for the guard position, specifically. It just helps us bring it every single day.

Jacob Waters | Sports Editor

Jacob Waters is a senior majoring in journalism. From Leeds, Alabama, he started with The Plainsman in August, 2021.

Twitter: @JacobWaters_

Share and discuss “'Competition does nothing but bring the best out of everyone': Tate Johnson previews guard positions” on social media.