Members of the Auburn community share their fall festivity traditions

<p>Auburn provides many fall-themed opportunities and activities for residents and students alike.&nbsp;</p>

Auburn provides many fall-themed opportunities and activities for residents and students alike. 

With trees shedding their leaves, a chill in the air, Halloween approaching and the flavor of pumpkin spice brewing, many people are excited that fall is approaching. Some current students, alumni and Auburn residents shared some of their thoughts on local fall-themed activities they love to partake in. 

Clair Aulner, alumna with a degree in special education, loves going outside and enjoying the weather, as well as spending time with family.

“I love when the weather cools down enough to attend bonfires," Aulner said. "I love going to corn fields, pumpkin patches and spending time with family during the holidays."

Jake Davis, sophomore in chemical engineering, also sees fall as a time to spend with family. 

“Ever since I was 5, my dad used to take me deer hunting. We made it a tradition within our family to go every fall and then whatever we catch we would always eat it for dinner,” Davis said.

Raelyn Smith, junior in psychology, shared a special tradition she does with her family.

“A fall festivity that I love to do is bake pumpkin pie. I grew up with pumpkin pie. My aunt has always baked it ever since I was 12 years old. One year, my aunt taught me how to bake it and I’ve been making it for my family ever since,” Smith said. 

Stacey Powell, junior in nursing, suggested a way to prepare for the fall season: decorating.

“This might be a weird recommendation, but one of my favorite things that I love to do during fall is decorate my house all warm and cozy," Powell said. "I like anything from putting all kinds of spooky decorations out around Halloween to putting my Christmas tree up in late November."

People who are eager to shop for decorations can shop at Walmart and Target. They can buy a variety of different things ranging from candles, garlands, fall-themed pillows, string lights, rugs and more.

Elise Torres, campus minister at Auburn Christian Fellowship, has a pumpkin patch that she visits every fall.

“I love going to the Farmer in the Dell pumpkin patch and picking out a pumpkin,” Torres said.  

Torres likes this pumpkin patch because they have a lot of pumpkins that people can choose from and they also sell sunflowers that others can buy. The Farmer in the Dell pumpkin patch is located in Auburn on Lee Road.

Another notable fall tradition on the Plains is football. Paul Condon, senior in biomedical sciences, said his favorite thing to do during the season is to watch Auburn football and go to the games. 

“Some of my favorite fall festivities to do during the season are going to a pumpkin patch, having a picnic outside, carving pumpkins, making apple cider, and even making soup from scratch,” said Reagan Moore, senior in special education. 

People can find all kinds of recipes online through websites and in cookbooks that others can buy on Amazon. Cooking is an activity that others can find therapeutic and relaxing.

“One of my favorite fall festivities is hosting potluck dinners with groups of friends. I love whenever I get to spend quality time with friends, relax, and not worry about anything,” said Shirly Gilmore, freshman in graphic design.

Carson Ruley, senior in psychology, said one of her favorite things to do is have fall-themed drinks at a specific coffee shop.

"Something I love about fall time is having my fall-themed drinks," Ruley said. "At Bitty and Beau's, their environment is so upbeat and friendly. I love spending a chunk of my time there because of it. They also serve seasonal pumpkin spice lattes and frappes, which are some of my favorite drinks. I'm a sucker for all seasonal drinks."

Ethan Hammer, alumni in finance, sees fall as a time to prepare for the holiday season. 

“I might be weird for saying this but I like getting the head of the game in most things, and one of those things include shopping. Plus, this gives me time, so I don’t have to rush around when the holidays are approaching,” Hammer said.

There are many different activities for the Auburn community to partake in and enjoy during the fall season. These are just some of the recommendations from the Auburn family and beyond to get people ready for autumn. 

Share and discuss “Members of the Auburn community share their fall festivity traditions” on social media.