Deep South’s Oldest Rivalry ‘won and lost’ on third down

Auburn’s seventh straight loss to Georgia may have been its most heartbreaking during the stretch, as the Tigers had the No. 1 Bulldogs on the ropes, ultimately falling just short. In a 27-20 game, the difference in third-down conversion rate between Auburn and Georgia proved costly for the Tigers.

"I think that's where the game was won and lost — our third-down defense and our third-down offense," said head coach Hugh Freeze. 

After scoring on just two of its first seven drives, Georgia scored on its final three drives to break the Tigers’ hearts. One consistent issue that plagued the Tigers' defense was their third-down stop rate.

The Bulldogs converted eight of their 13 third-down attempts, a rate of 61.5%, as the Tigers struggled to get off the field. Of Georgia's third-down conversions, seven had a distance to go of five yards or greater. Georgia had an average distance of 7.4 yards to go on its third down attempts, and its eight conversions picked up an average of just under 14 yards.

In the Bulldogs’ final three scoring drives, they had four third-down attempts and converted three.

Seven of the Bulldogs’ eight conversions were by pass— with two receivers tormenting the Tigers in particular: Ladd McConkey and Brock Bowers. The duo combined for five of the seven conversions through the air, with Bowers adding another on the ground. In total, Georgia quarterback Carson Beck was 8-of-10 on third down for 115 yards.

“(Bowers) is a handful, and we didn't do a great job guarding him,” Freeze said. "I'm sure it wasn't him every time, but it was him a large majority of the time when the game was on the line." 

To Freeze’s point, Bowers was the recipient of Georgia’s final two conversions, gaining an average of 22 yards on those two catches as the Bulldogs drove for the lead in each of their final two drives. McConkey caught three third-down passes to move the chains, with an average of 13.33 yards per catch on third down.

The Tigers totaled just three quarterback hurries in the game and did not record a sack of Beck. Many times on third down the Tigers rushed four, failing to get to Beck and allowing him time to find receivers.

“It was hard to get pressure on with just four,” Freeze said. “He made the plays, and we obviously probably could have done some different coverages.”

For as much success as Georgia’s offense had on third down, Auburn’s offense was futile in its attempts to extend drives, converting only two of its 12 third-down attempts. 

Contrary to the Bulldogs’ philosophy, Auburn was credited with a rush attempt on eight of its 12 attempts, with six designed runs, a Payton Thorne scramble and a sack. 

On those eight rushes, Auburn picked up an average of just three yards and Thorne’s 17-yard scramble was the only attempt they converted on the ground. 

The Tigers did not attempt a pass on third down until the second half, with three of their four third-down passes coming in the fourth quarter.

The third-down passing game did not fare much better as Auburn converted just one of the four third-down pass attempts, with an 11-yard catch by Rivaldo Fairweather in the Tigers’ penultimate drive being their lone conversion through the air.

Auburn was mere minutes away from stunning the top-ranked team in the country, but the inability of the defense to get off the field on third down and the offense’s struggles extending drives were key contributors to the loss.

Matthew Wallace | Assistant Sports Editor

Matthew is a senior from Huntsville, Alabama, majoring in journalism. He started with The Plainsman in fall 2021.

Twitter: @mattwallaceAU

Share and discuss “Deep South’s Oldest Rivalry ‘won and lost’ on third down” on social media.