The story behind Choctafaula

<p>A Choctufaula hay ride with a longhorn tailing behind.&nbsp;</p>

A Choctufaula hay ride with a longhorn tailing behind. 

Choctafaula is a venue located in Auburn on 300 acres of land filled with over 300 types of animals living on the grounds. This agricultural destination opened up in 2020, offering a guided wagon around the property in order to advance conservation and environmental awareness while hoping to encourage appreciation of all living things.

Savannah Starr Gill, owner of Choctafaula mentioned the different activities that are offered throughout the property. 

“We offer a lot of events around animals. We have a lot of exotic animals on our property and we have a huge venue," Gill said. "So we do weddings, birthday parties, corporate events, all sorts of things. Then, annually we have our pumpkin patch and Christmas events."

Gill said the most popular season is fall when they offer a pumpkin patch, haunted house and other festivities that occur. Her favorite event hosted is the pumpkin patch. In October, over 250 children come each day. 

Gill explained that Choctafaula was originally started by her brother, Patrick Starr, who created a company called Farmer Brown's Party Animals when he was in high school.

"He used goats and started with smaller normal farm animals to birthday parties, like a mobile petting zoo,” Gill said.

This began the inspiration for Choctafaula, where they expanded their animals from the farm. Starting with traditional animals, they added llamas and camels. Now they also have zebras, water buffalo, bison and giraffes.

Gill’s favorite animals at Choctafaula are the giraffes because they are taught different tricks.

Over the years Choctafaula has expanded. Starting out the first few years with more families, this year a lot more college students have shown up. With several other prominent pumpkin patches closing in the area, there's been a lot more growth this year.

There are many plans for the future of this place that will capture the attention of all age groups.This holiday season they are looking at offering animal pictures where you book a 30-minute time slot and come play with baby cows, baby llamas and baby deer. 

"We are also looking at doing goat yoga and making a big spring fling,” Gill said.

Choctafaula also offers a variety of events like weddings and sorority events. 

"Pretty much if someone calls us with an idea we're able to accommodate it just because our venue has so many different areas and capacities. We do live music on weekends as well and are still learning as we continue to open,” Gill said.

Choctafaula provides opportunities for many people who have never seen the vast amount of animals and get to interact with them, which is one of Gill's favorite things to see.

“We had a group that came across the bridge and they saw a big black horse and when the little kids said, 'Oh my gosh, look at the elephants,'" Gill said. 

Gill said he had no idea what kind of animal he was looking at, but by the end of the day, he knew a lot more about animals and elephants. 

Some upcoming events to look forward to are Choctafaula’s Christmas activities including the Christmas parties and horses and carriage rentals.  

"We do a lot of Christmas parties, off-site nativity events and things like that,” Gill said.

More information can be found on Choctafaula's website.

Share and discuss “The story behind Choctafaula” on social media.