No. 6 Auburn secure win against No. 8 UT Martin this weekend

<p>&nbsp;Auburn Equestrian competes against UTM at Equestrian Center on February 17th 2024.&nbsp;</p>

Auburn Equestrian competes against UTM at Equestrian Center on February 17th 2024. 

The Tigers (6-4) welcomed UT Martin into the ring this Saturday, Feb. 17 at 11 a.m. and secured a victory against No. 8 UT Martin (4-7) on Saturday, winning 14-6. 

"It was a great win today and we appreciate the Auburn fans for coming out even though it was cold and windy," said head coach Jessica Braswell. "We won all four events, which was huge for us. It was an overall great effort from the entire team and we're looking forward to continuing this momentum the rest of the season."

Friday, Auburn beat Dartmouth (6-2) and came back for another win this weekend. The meet began with reining and flat, which the Tigers ended up leading 7-3 after the first half. 

"Our overall team effort really started yesterday," Braswell said. "Both sides of the team really put in 100% effort, and it carried over into today. The whole team was in it from the very beginning, and we've talked a lot about helping your teammate win each point and they showed that effort today."

Auburn Western corps dominated reining with a 4-1 lead. Senior Kate Buchanan received the highest score of 74 for her event. Sophomore Caroline Buchanan fell short half a point to her opponent, Lexi Bailey. The total points were 355.5 to 344.5. 

In flat, Auburn Jumping Seat secured the lead with a total point score of 404-392. Senior All-American Ellie Ferringo secured the winning point for her team, leading with a 3-2 going into the other events. 

Halfway through the meet, the Tigers were up with a 7-3 score and 759.5-736.5 lead heading into the next half of fences and horsemanship

Starting in fences, freshman Avery Glynn took the highest score of the event with an 88 against her opponent, Sydney Hott, with 80 points. Junior All-American Mary-Grace Segars, junior Sophee Steckbeck and Ferrigno dominated each of their opponents as well gaining a 4-0 lead. Auburn secured its lead (423-402) in fences and won with an 11-4 lead heading into horsemanship. 

In horsemanship, sophomores Caroline Fredenburg and Alexia Tordoff both scored 76.5, gaining their team two points and the highest earnings scores in the event. Auburn finished with a score of 3-2 and a tie in points of 372.5-372.5. 

Finishing with wins in flat, reining, fences and horsemanship, the Tigers secured their win in the meet with a 14-6 total score and 1,555-1,511 points. With the win, Auburn improved to 6-4 and has now won back-to-back meets after losing the previous four.

The Tigers will host their next meet against the SMU Mustangs on Saturday, Mar. 2 at the Auburn University Equestrian Center. Auburn lost to SMU earlier in the season 12-8.

Jolie Bishop | Culture Editor

Jolie Bishop, culture editor for The Auburn Plainsman is a senior in marketing with a minor in journalism. She has been with The Plainsman since summer of 2022. 

Share and discuss “No. 6 Auburn secure win against No. 8 UT Martin this weekend” on social media.