Auburn equestrian secures sixth straight SEC Championship

Auburn equestrian following the Tigers' sixth consecutive SEC Championship title on March 30. 2024.

Auburn equestrian clinched its sixth consecutive Southeastern Conference title and first under the leadership of head coach Jessica Braswell on Saturday.

Facing competition from the top-seeded Texas A&M Aggies on their home turf at the Hildebrand Equine Complex in College Station, Texas, the Tigers won the title with a resounding 13-6 victory.

Braswell, expressed her overwhelming pride in her team's stellar performance.

"This is amazing, and I'm so, so proud of this team," Braswell said, "Their outstanding efforts throughout the weekend and their unwavering determination this season prepared them for this moment."

The championship marks Auburn's seventh SEC title since the league began sponsoring equestrian in 2013, solidifying their dominance in collegiate equestrian.

Senior Isabella Tesmer echoed the sentiments of her coach, expressing her immense pride in her team's accomplishments.

"It's been such an honor to be a part of this team and witness the talent and dedication of my teammates," Tesmer said. "I'm excited for what lies ahead for us."

Auburn was successful with the help of standout performances across various disciplines, earning the Tigers three Most Outstanding Performer honors on the day. Sophomores Alexia Tordoff and Caroline Fredenburg were recognized for their excellence in Reining and Horsemanship, and junior Mary-Grace Segars received accolades for her victory in Flat.

Fredenburg scored a 75.83 on her MOP ride to win her point, and her performance earned her a spot on the SEC All-Championship team.

Auburn's commanding lead was established early in the competition, with the team securing a 7-3 advantage following strong showings in Flat and Reining. Throughout the competition, Auburn's jumping seat team delivered a stellar 8-2 performance, while its Western squad finished with a 5-4-1 record. Horsemanship finished with a 3-1-1 mark versus the Aggies to close out the second half for Western. 

Fredenburg scored a 75.83 on her MOP ride to win her point, while Tordoff tied Hanna Olaussen, 75.33-all. The Aggies took the third point before senior Madison Parduhn bested Ellie Gerbrandt 75.33-74.67. Freshman Sydney Swallom closed out her perfect weekend with a 74.17-71 win.

The competition for Fences was a nail-biter and closed out the day with a 3-2 win for Auburn, contributing crucial points to secure Auburn the overall victory. Notable performances from Ava Stearns, Ellie Ferrigno and Avery Glynn propelled the team to success in the final event of the day.

"It’s such a special feeling,” Stearns said. “This one might be the most special because it hasn’t been the easiest year. I’ve known this whole time that this team is special, and the talent is there. To watch it all come together at the right time means more than anything to me."

The Tigers hope to continue their winning streak as they set their sights on the 2024 NCEA Championship in Ocala, Florida. This will be a three-day meet from April 18 through April 20, held at The World Equestrian Center with Auburn hosting.

"This team is so capable, and it was so special to see their hard work come to fruition," Braswell said. "Today marks a significant milestone in our journey, and we eagerly anticipate the challenges and triumphs that lie ahead."

Share and discuss “Auburn equestrian secures sixth straight SEC Championship” on social media.