Life is in color. This statement could be one thing the world agrees upon. But consider what the format of much of our photographically recorded history.

Since photography's inception in 1839 by Henry Fox Talbot (some argue Daguerre, some Talbot), the monochromatic image, whether from silver gelatin processes or others, has dominated the field.

When I recall images from 20th century history, many of the pictures in my mind are black and white. Joe Rosenthal's photograph of Marines raising the flag over Iwo Jima. A blurry and distorted soldier crawling through water on Omaha Beach by Robert Capa. Eddie Adams' photograph depicting the moment of death of Nguyen Van Lem by South Vietnamese General Nguyen Ngoc Loan.

While the 2016 SGA Debate was overshadowed by the 2016 campaigns in New Hampshire, politics at any level looks good in black and white. 

There are two places on campus that are absolutely horrible for photographing people. The Foy Auditorium and the Student Center Ballroom are filled with just enough life-sucking fluorescent lights to drive a photographer mad.

Fluorescent lights are the bane of photographers, offering flat and inconsistent light due to their refresh rates.

It is often difficult to really make a photograph look superb with fluorescent lighting, so I considered doing my edits in black and white.

Now I'm certainly not the only one covering politics in black and white. One of the best photojournalists of today, who is also a favorite of mine, Danny Wilcox Frazier, has built an incredible portfolio of black and white images of contemporary American society.

If you're interested, you can follow his up-to-date coverage of the 2016 campaign on Instagram and on the VII website, the agency he is represented by.

Share and discuss “” on social media.