Charley Gaines/ Staff Writer

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Golf, tennis help with networking

Students may want consider thinking outside of the great indoors to gain a competitive edge in the work force.Picture two different scenarios. The first is two business associates sitting in an office. One person sitting behind a desk leaning forward to show concern for the other's cooperation in a deal, the other person sits across the desk shifting in an uncomfortable chair. The second scenario is out on a court or a golf course hashing out the same details in a deal."I don't think you can overstate a way to connect with colleagues outside of the office," Accounting Professor Duane Brandon said. "It's really more than making a business deal, it's the connection. Details of business are worked out on the green."

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Holiday Cheer Spreads to Troops Overseas

As people in the U.S. move toward the end of the year and celebrate a time of giving and togetherness, organizations across the nation help ease the strain on the troops overseas.Organizations and students on campus and in the area are pulling together to show support for the men and women fighting for freedom Americans take for granted."We take things for granted," said Mary Catherine Stewart, senior in public relations.

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

Discovering Dining around Campus

Sprouting up on campus are new buildings, and in those buildings are a new variety of dining places for students, faculty and visitors to enjoy.When the new Student Center on campus opened in August 2008, students got the opportunity to experience new food on campus.

The Auburn Plainsman
Sports

Auburn Equestrian Wins on the Road

Auburn's No. 1 Equestrian team traveled north for Nov. 7 and 8 meets and came home with wins.The women competed against Sacred Heart University in Bethany, Conn., Saturday."(The meet) was a little more disorganized than we're used to," said junior Western rider Jillian Fuller.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Haunted Maze Swears on Scares

The end of October means cooler air, leaves changing and walking through corn mazes haunted by scary figures popping out of the darkness to scare the living crap out of someone.Sheila Davis and her family run the Darkest Night Haunted Maze in West Point, Ga.For those brave enough, the 5,000 square feet offer a night of fear every Saturday night in October.Davis said her family decided to create a maze because they enjoy them so much."We're a funny family that likes doing these kinds of things," Davis said.The drive to West Point from Auburn is about 45 minutes and is not hard to find, Davis said.Davis would not reveal the haunting figures inside the maze, but does promise a good scare. The maze offers all live characters instead of animated ones.This is the Davis family's fifth year welcoming people into their maze.In the past, the Davis' also had a hayride, but a staff shortage this year only allowed the maze.With high school and college football games in full swing, Davis said it was too much to compete with on Friday nights."Next year we hope to do it on Friday nights as well," Davis said.The staff's age ranges from 17 to 55, but it is mostly people in their mid to late twenties. Davis said her 55-year-old husband is taking part in the festivities this year."(Mazes) have a tendency to be gory and evil," Davis said.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Grant Provides Funds to Students with Disabilities

Auburn and six other East Central Alabama colleges received $3 million from the National Science Foundation to support students with disabilities and are pursuing science, technology, engineering or mathematics degrees.The Department of Diversity and Multicultural Affairs combined its efforts with Alabama State University, Auburn University Montgomery, Tuskegee University, Central Alabama Community College, Southern Union State Community College and the Alabama Institute for the Deaf and Blind."Our mission is to bring under-represented groups into the (science, technology, engineering or mathematics) programs," said Maria Zacharias, public affairs specialist for the NSF.The program's concentration within this amount of time is to increase the amount of students graduating with degrees in the STEM areas."There are a lot of intelligent, hard working students with disabilities," said Daniela Marghitu, a co-principal investigator for the program.

More articles »