Kadettes Aid Auburn's Army ROTC Program

Patriotism has been revered in this country since the first settlers emigrated from Europe so many years ago.

Today, that same sense of loyalty to country survives in the U.S. Army and ROTC program.

What people may not realize, however, is that there is a group that acts as a lifeline or backbone for the Army ROTC patriots: the Auburn Kadettes.

The Kadettes are the official hostesses of the Army ROTC program.

Sara Abeln, president of the Kadettes said that it is their job to support the Army ROTC and even show up to their PT tests to offer support and hand out catering.

"We show up and support them at their PT, or physical fitness tests," Abeln said. "We bring them stuff like waters and Gatorades."

In addition to hydrating the ROTC cadets, the Kadettes also take pride in setting up and decorating for the ROTC's formal, Rachel Jernigan, Vice President of the Kadettes said.

"The biggest event we contribute to is the Military Ball for the ROTC guys," Jernigan said. "We're actually kind of in the process of rebuilding. We're looking to do more fundraisers this coming year."

The Military Ball is put on by the ROTC every year in February. This past year it took place on Valentine's Day weekend, Jernigan said. The event is designed to help the ROTC men and women, many of whom are going to be going into service in the military, learn a few social aspects and hopefully some etiquette.

"We also host fundraisers throughout the year at different restaurants, much like a sorority does" Jernigan said. "We host events to help raise money for (the ROTC) and their activities."

The members of the Kadettes join for a number of different reasons, Jernigan said. For her it was the feeling of patriotism that drove her to join.

"My father, way before my time was in the military," Jernigan said. "He always instilled that sense of patriotism. I'm a patriot at heart."

Other girls join because sororities encourage them to get involved, or because they are dating one of the ROTC cadets, Jernigan said.

Being a member of the Kadettes may have other perks as well.

"We got to go to Fort Benning with the cadets," Jernigan said. " We went through a virtual training and even got to shoot an M-16."

The Kadettes is now a group made up entirely of females. That is not by design, however, and the organization would embrace anyone who wanted to join, male or female, Jernigan said. Missed meetings are not a huge problem, as the organization is relatively lenient, Jernigan said.

Those interested in joining need only to attend the regular two meetings a month and pay the small organizational dues.

Scott Bolch, an undeclared sophomore and former ROTC cadet, said he appreciates the support of the Kadettes.

"Most of the training and PT tests can be pretty brutal," Bolch said. "It really helps to have not just one person, but a whole organization out there to support you. It's amazing."

Share and discuss “Kadettes Aid Auburn's Army ROTC Program” on social media.