Auburn Football: Running Back Preview

Onterio McCalebb (23)
Football spring scrimmage on Saturday, April 11, 2009 in Auburn, Ala.
Todd Van Emst
Onterio McCalebb (23) Football spring scrimmage on Saturday, April 11, 2009 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst

The fall semester is on the horizon, and with it comes a brand new football season. Auburn Tigers fans have been anticipating and anxiously awaiting the first football game of the 2009 season on September 5.

This year there is even more buzz surrounding the team, which now consists of a completely new coaching staff.

Since the Auburn offense is dominated by its running game, the position with the most hype at Auburn is typically running back, where the likes of Bo Jackson, Carnell Williams and Ronnie Brown among others have thrived and led Auburn to be appropriately nicknamed "Running Back University."

This year looks to be no different as the Offensive Coordinator, Gus Malzahn, said he looks to implement a system that put up over 3,700 rushing yards for the University of Tulsa last season.

Eric Smith, an undeclared sophomore in the College of Liberal Arts, has high hopes for this year's offense.

"It's a lot of fun, a lot of misdirection's, more deep plays, more run plays," Smith said. "It's a lot quicker. I like it. I think it's going to work really well in the SEC."

In fact most, if not all, of the running backs are buying into the new system. Mario Fannin, a junior majoring in public business administration, shared Smith's sentiments about the new offense.

"It's going to be a really good offense for us," Fannin said. "Very explosive."

One of the reasons for Auburn's struggles on the gridiron last year was because of a struggling offense. Former offensive coordinator, Tony Franklin, was fired in October after only six weeks on the job. Fannin thinks that Malzahn's system is designed to put up some impressive numbers.

"That's something that we are striving for on offense," Fannin said. "Score as many points as possible. That's what we work for everyday."

Many of Auburn's football players, especially the running backs, are spending the summer working out and getting ready for the grueling two-a-day practices that will start near the end of July.

Some players may be spending it making adjustments to their game to fit the new style of offense.

"I've just been working out, trying to get better," Smith said. "Trying to get a little smaller and a little faster."

Smith is not the only one trying to get faster. Malzahn's offense thrives on speed.

It will be key in Auburn's success, said Smith. There also seems to be a consensus on who Auburn's fastest running back is.

"Onterio McCalebb," said both Smith and Fannin when asked who was the speediest back. McCalebb, is a freshman from Fort Meade, Fla., who sprinted his way to a touchdown and 75 yards in Auburn's spring game.

Auburn's football program is in a rebuilding faze after they completely revamped the coaching staff. After initial skepticism from the Auburn community, first-year Auburn head coach Gene Chizik seems to be connecting with his players.

"It's a lot more disciplined, a lot more strict, as far as having you lockers clean and everything," Smith said. "Just being an 'Auburn Man.' That's what coach Chizik is always preaching to us, him and Coach Troop (Trooper Taylor). Always being an 'Auburn Man.'"

Coach Chizik and his staff talk about the Auburn Family and how important it is to the game of football.

They have the utmost respect for their players as individuals. Assistant head coach Trooper Taylor especially wants to see the young men on his team succeed.

"Our job is to make sure these guys go professional in something," said Taylor, who was recognized in 2005 and 2007 as a national top-25 recruiter by Rivals.com. "We try and focus on making them better men as well as better players."

Share and discuss “Auburn Football: Running Back Preview” on social media.