OIT makes web-space creation simple

Auburn students are provided with 100 megabytes of free web space that can be designed to use for class or leisure.

"That's a lot of space just for just HTML pages, straight webpages and images," said Seth Humphrey, Auburn University webmaster. "That is more than enough. When you start adding multimedia stuff on there, that really blows up the amount of space you are using."

The web space is not available through AU Access, but rather on the Office of Information Technology's website. Registering to use the space is relatively simple, and then web designing can begin.

Stephen Wilson, senior in software engineering and co-op of OIT, explained the registration process.

It all takes place on the OIT website at www.auburn.edu/oit, Wilson said.

Wilson explained the steps to register for a web domain. You start by clicking "support" and then click "web development" and finish by clicking "request mySQL database."

From there, it is as easy as entering a student username and password and then following the steps to constructing a website. Students who are technically inclined and know how to use coding languages can even use simple applications like notepad to connect files to their web directories.

Many students do not know specific website code, so easier methods like Microsoft SharePoint and Adobe Dreamweaver are available.

"You need some kind of software to edit the site," Humphrey said. "A lot of people use Dreamweaver. We have a link to SharePoint Designer 2007 on the AU install site that you can use for free. And we have instructions on how to use that software."

The amount of web space provided has declined because so many outlets are on the web.

Because of Facebook and Google offering free space for each individual to post text and multimedia, it has reduced the need for each Auburn student to have more than 100 megabytes.

Most of the web space is used for projects assigned in a class, but some students may use it before they graduate to post a resume and a portfolio of their work. After two semesters of no classes, students lose their web domains.

The web space must comply with University policy, and it must not contain ads or any money-making schemes.

Students' web space cannot include copyright material such as videos or music that could be distributed illegally.

The majority of students do not even know the space exists and is available for use.

Alex Tam, junior in software engineering and co-op of OIT, said he thought his web space was only provided because he was an employee of OIT and not solely because he is a student.

The web space is available for students as a tool to help with their education.

Any questions about web designing or the space that is available can be answered through the OIT help desk at the library located on the second floor.

Share and discuss “OIT makes web-space creation simple” on social media.