Former Auburn media studies professor publishes first novel 'Still Waters'

Ash Parsons, former Auburn media studies professor, published her first novel "Still Waters" April 21.

Parsons said she always loved writing and has gone through many stages of life to get to where she is now. 

After graduate school Parsons attended Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey Clown College. 

Later, she became a librarian, taught English at Beulah High School in Lee County and became a media studies professor for a semester at Auburn.

Parsons said exploring different career paths made being an author even more gratifying and said the time she spent as an English teacher at Beulah High School inspired her idea for "Still Waters." 

"Teaching at Beulah, I saw the kids who have it all verses the kids who don't, and seeing that has a lot do with my experience there," Parsons said. "I was in the middle of teaching 'The Outsiders' when I realized that I really wanted to write a young adult novel for these kids that engages them and that they relate to, because its about what I see them struggle with." 

She said she always adored gritty and suspenseful novels, which is what inspired her own suspense novel to take place in a contemporary high school setting. 

Chris Green, Auburn coordinator for campus and community events, said her book had been compared to "The Outsiders," because there is a dark vibe. 

"It is so realistic that you feel like you are in the protagonist's head and his world, even if you never grew up in a world like that," Green said. 

Chantel Acevedo, former Auburn English professor, said many types of readers will enjoy this book. 

"Don't let the young adults category fool you, it is a book for everyone," Acevedo said. "It is so gripping you won't be able to put it down." 

Jessica Brewer, former Beulah student and recent Auburn graduate, said she was glued to the book.

"If you are looking for a book to keep you on the edge of your seat and keep you rooting for the protagonist, while also being scared for his life, this is the book for you," Brewer said. "The story is so captivating, and you get so attached to the characters, I really couldn't put it down." 

"Still Waters" has only been out one month and has already caught the eye of film producer Wyck Godfrey. 

Godfrey, who produced movies such as "Twilight" and "The Fault in Our Stars" tweeted Parsons saying "Still Waters," is his favorite book of the year, and he wants Hollywood to take notice. 

Parsons said Godfrey's tweet was one of the most exciting things that has happened since she became an author. 

Parsons' second book is set to hit shelves in 2016.

Share and discuss “Former Auburn media studies professor publishes first novel 'Still Waters'” on social media.