Auburn, Malzahn agree on contract extension

Auburn head football coach Gus Malzahn signed a contract extension on Monday that extends through the 2020 season. The agreement was signed on April 1 and states that Malzahn will make $4.725 million per year through Dec. 31, 2020. The buyout figure in Malzahn's contract still stands at $2,237,500 per year through the end of the deal.

Malzahn is already one of the top paid coaches in America, and with this extension will likely remain in the top 10 in the nation, only behind Kevin Sumlin and Nick Saban in the SEC.

In last weeks' spring SEC meetings in Destin, Florida, Auburn Athletic Director Jay Jacobs discussed the Tiger football head coach briefly.

"He's a brilliant offensive mind," Jacobs said. "Took us to two national championships; once as a coordinator, once as a head coach. There's a bunch of schools in this league that would love to be in our position with a guy like him."

Malzahn won the SEC Championship and lead the Tigers to Pasadena, California, to play for a national championship in his first season as the head coach on the Plains in 2013. He won eight games in 2014 and seven games in 2015.

This past off season, Malzahn hired five new members to his coaching staff, including new defensive coordinator Kevin Steele. Steele recently signed a three-year, $3.6 million contract.

Jay Jacobs said Malzahn would be the Tigers coach for a "long, long time" and called him "the right guy for Auburn" moving forward.

Malzahn and Auburn are set to face off against the Clemson Tigers on September 3, 2016 at Jordan-Hare Stadium. Kickoff will be at 8 p.m. CST.  

Share and discuss “Auburn, Malzahn agree on contract extension” on social media.