UPDATE: Man charged with placing hidden cameras in bathrooms confessed to police, court documents show

Russell County officials on Monday found the third, and presumably final, camera placed by an Opelika man arrested last week. Police in Lee County charged the man with illegally placing cameras in men’s bathroom stalls in Auburn and Opelika.

The Opelika Police Department arrested Kirston Jermine Dowdell, 31, for aggravated criminal surveillance and production of pornography with minors.

He later confessed to placing the cameras and downloading child pornography, according to an affidavit obtained Oct. 27 by The Auburn Plainsman.

The investigation began after a spectator at an Oct. 13 Opelika High School football game approached an Opelika police officer and said he found a hidden camera in a men’s bathroom, according to the affidavit charging Dowdell.

The spectator gave the officer one hidden camera he found in his stall, wand then he took the officer to the men’s restroom, where they discovered a second camera on the wall behind a men’s toilet in a stall.

“Both cameras were placed in a position to capture images of people using the restroom,” the affidavit reads.

Opelika detectives reviewed the cameras, SD cards and their content, on which they found nude images of male children and adults using the restroom in different locations across several dates.

Opelika High School surveillance video, police said, showed Dowdell entering and exiting the bathroom, and video contained on the hidden cameras showed Dowdell mounting the devices in the stalls, the affidavit said.

After the initial investigation, police obtained a search warrant for Dowdell’s home, where officers found an Acer laptop, according to the affidavit. During an interview with police, Dowdell waived his miranda rights and provided a written confession.

Dowdell confessed to placing the cameras and downloading pornographic images of children from the internet. On his laptop, police found several videos of children using the restroom and at least three other pornographic pictures of children that appeared to be sent to Dowdell by an unknown person over the internet, according to the affidavit.

Police believe all of the hidden cameras have been collected, according to Opelika Police Chief John McEachern.

Dowdell placed secret cameras, McEachern said Oct. 27, which were designed to look like coat hooks, in public men’s restroom stalls at the Opelika High School football stadium and Auburn’s Shug Jordan Soccer Field.

McEachern said Dowdell placed one additional camera unkown at the time. Russell County law enforcement identified the additional location at a Russell County facility. It is also believed to be a men’s restroom.

“We are confident that no threat to the public exists at this time,” McEachern said. “The preliminary examination found no indication that the videos have been uploaded to the internet or shared with others.”

Auburn City Schools said Oct. 28 through a social media statement that there was no evidence the school system facilities were involved.

ACS said Auburn police were in communication with with school and Parks and Recreation officials to ensure no devices were at either of their venues.

All of the investigatory materials have now been handed over to the FBI’s Child Exploitation Task Force.

“An initial investigation by the FBI has revealed fewer than two dozen child victims whom the FBI, the Auburn Police Department and the Opelika Police Department are working diligently to positively identify,” McEachern said.

The FBI is now leading the investigation.

A Lee County District Judge denied Dowdell bond at his initial appearance Oct. 19. The Court said bond would not ensure Dowdell’s appearance at trial, and he would be a danger to the safety of the community if he were released.

He is being held at the Lee County jail.

Kris Martins, community reporter, contributed to this report.

Share and discuss “UPDATE: Man charged with placing hidden cameras in bathrooms confessed to police, court documents show” on social media.