Auburn gymnastics drops SEC opener to UGA

The thirteenth-ranked Auburn gymnastics team was defeated by Georgia in their SEC opener Friday night, losing by a final score of 196.800 to 196.075.

Late changes and inexperience led to yet another close loss for the Tigers. This one coming seven days after a tight meet with Oregon State, in which the Tigers lost at home by a score of 195.575 to 195.275.

“I think we made the best of a bad situation,” Head Coach Jeff Graba said. “I still feel this team has potential. This is a young team with new routines.”

Auburn began on vault with a 48.900, led by Freshman Gracie Day’s solid 9.850.

The Tigers then scored a 49.125 on bars, led by Sophomores Emma Engler and Taylor Krippner, and Junior Abby Milliet, who all scored 9.850.

Beam was next for Auburn, and the Tigers scored a 48.825. Redshirt Freshman Emma Slappey led the way with a score of 9.800.

The Tigers finished strong on floor, scoring a 49.225. The team’s late surge in the floor routine was led by Senior MJ Rottwho scored an impressive 9.950, with one judge giving her a perfect 10.

“I can’t thank the fans enough,” Rott said. “I just feed off them every time, and that helps me perform because I don’t ever want to let them down."

But, the late comeback was not enough, and Georgia outscored Auburn in three of the four routines, despite the Tigers scoring a season-high 196.075.

“We got better tonight,” Graba said. “It was positive putting people in places they had not been before.”

Auburn falls to 0-2 overall, and 0-1 in the SEC. The Tigers will travel to Lexington to face the Wildcats of Kentucky for their next meet on Friday, January 20, at 6:00 p.m. CST. 

Share and discuss “Auburn gymnastics drops SEC opener to UGA” on social media.