Stidham, running backs building trust

A relationship between a quarterback and a wide receiver is crucial at any level of football. It is even more important in a fast-paced SEC offense.

What people often do not realize, is that a quarterback’s chemistry with a running back is just as important for a team like Auburn, who has relied heavily on its ground game recently.

For transfer quarterback Jarrett Stidham, transitioning into the Auburn run game has been extremely smooth.

"It's been really good," Stidham said. "The first day [was] just trying to get used to the steps and whatnot, but really after that first day we just hit it off and just like it's always been."

With Auburn planning to use more run-pass option plays under new offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey, the decision making of the quarterbacks is vital. For Stidham, building trust and chemistry with the Tiger tailbacks this Spring has been easy.

The running will not be left specifically to the tailbacks though. While Stidham is not known for his running abilities, he has proven in practice and at Baylor that he can tuck the ball and take off. During his time in Waco, Texas, Stidham had 36 carries for 70 yards with two touchdowns.

"I'm not going to lie; I'm not going to be Cam Newton or Nick Marshall and take it 75 to the house," Stidham said. “I'm probably going to get caught from behind. It's just not my game.

"I like to run around a little bit, keep the defense honest and I think we'll have some of it."

Whether it is Stidham calling the signals for the Tigers in the Fall or not, Auburn running backs coach Tim Horton is confident in the quarterback’s relationships with his tailbacks.

"You really do have to give kudos to Jarrett Stidham and Malik Willis and Woody," running backs coach Tim Horton said. "I think they've all done a good job. We've got good kids that get along with each other, that want to see each other successful and do well and are good encouragers to one another. I think the chemistry is really good; not just with the running backs and the quarterbacks, but really the entire offense and I think the chemistry on our entire team is pretty good right now."

Share and discuss “Stidham, running backs building trust ” on social media.