Auburn opens postseason play with blowout win

After scoring just two runs in two games in the SEC Tournament, Auburn entered the NCAA Tournament searching for offensive production. The Tigers accomplished just that Friday afternoon, defeating East Tennessee State 11-0.

After scoring one run in the second inning on a RBI single by Courtney Shea, Auburn exploded for 10 runs in the fourth inning to put the overmatched Buccaneers away.

“I thought it was a good game,” Auburn head coach Clint Myers said. “The philosophy of getting good pitching, (Makayla) did a phenomenal job in the circle, playing good defense, no errors, and timely hitting. That was the key thing. We had a lot of people that could come in off the bench. We had three pinch hits in the ballgame, which we haven’t done in a long time. It was a good ballgame for us.”

Jenna Abbott and Casey McCrackin each tallied RBI singles in the inning to start the fourth-inning barrage for the Tigers. After Kasey Cooper drew a bases-loaded walk, Carlee Wallace delivered the biggest hit of the inning, smoking a three-run double down the left field line.

Kendall Veach, Bree Fornis, Justus Perry and Whitney Jordan each recorded RBIs in the 10-run outburst. 

“We’ve made conversations over the lack of offense,” Myers said. “I was happy to see any offense and it just kept going. The nice thing was we were able to get some people some at-bats. They got up there and put some quality at-bats together.”

Makayla Martin continued her recent dominant stretch with five shutout innings to improve to 19-5 on the year. She allowed just one hit and struck out five. 

“I felt good. I felt like all my pitches were working,” Martin said. “I kind of just went in there knowing that they’re going to swing the bat. I worked it to my advantage and kept the ball low.”

Martin has allowed just one run over her last 17 innings, picking up two wins in the process.

Veach and Wallace led the Tigers at the plate with two RBI and three RBI, respectively. Veach also hit her fourth triple of the year and scored three runs for Auburn.

“We always say, ‘Be the snowflake that starts the avalanche.’ I definitely would say that (Veach) was the snowflake this time that started the avalanche,” Wallace said.” 

ETSU starter Madison Ogle lasted just 3.1 innings, allowing two runs on four hits. She fell to 12-13 on the year. Danielle Knoetze recorded the only hit of the afternoon for the Buccaneers.

Auburn will take on California Saturday at 11 a.m. at Jane B. Moore Field. The Golden Bears defeated Notre Dame 6-2 in game one of the Auburn regional.

Share and discuss “Auburn opens postseason play with blowout win” on social media.