Active Auburn's scavenger hunt brings adventure to town before the storm

With overcast skies and a breeze, families, couples and friends gathered at Kiesel Park for Active Auburn's Outdoor Adventure Scavenger Hunt today.

Aquatics and Special Events Coordinator Whitney Morris and Parks and Recreation's Community Program Assistant Jessie Waid welcomed adventurers at the pavilion to hand out worksheets.

"One of our biggest goals is to get people active and outdoors, especially in our parks," Waid said. "With Active Auburn we just want people to utilize our parks as well as just exercising in general."

People were welcomed to enter the scavenger hunt from 2–4 p.m.

The worksheets contained 10 riddles to find specific locations around the park that included both information about Kiesel and a clue containing a single letter.

Once the letters are collected, scavenger hunter's were then instructed to unscramble the message to answer the question, "If 20 monkeys run after one banana, what time is it?"

Those with the correct answer were entered into a drawing to win one of four Active Auburn prize bags that included gifts provided by the Auburn and Opelika Tourism Bureau along with passes for the city's Friday Night Splash events. 

Walking with a tight grip on his worksheet in one hand and a branch used as a walking stick in the other, Connor, 9, was determined to figure out the riddle along with his mom and sister.

"I've already found 'N' and 'Y,' and I've only been here for 10 minutes," he said. "I heard someone yell 'T' so I got that too."

Adam and Kristy Stadler brought their two children for the adventure.

"I heard it on the radio first, and then I looked it up on Facebook, and I thought it would be fun for us to do as a family," Kristy Stadler said. "So far so good, the kids are having fun."

People were all throughout the park with pencils in hands jotting down their letter, some excitedly exclaiming the clue they found.

"One last chance to do something fun outside before this bad weather comes," Adam Stadler said.

Ashley Richardson and Hunter Reed were sitting down in the grass outside of the park entrance with their pug, Lucy, attempting to unscramble the answer.

"I want to figure it out before him," Richardson laughed. "We usually come here (Kiesel) to walk Lucy, and then we saw everyone with these papers and realized what was going on so we thought it would be fun instead of our usual walk."

Share and discuss “Active Auburn's scavenger hunt brings adventure to town before the storm ” on social media.