COLUMN: Brunch on Sunday the right way

Due to football season’s return, weekends are packed in The Loveliest Village with families, friends and Auburn fans from all over flooding the town. Sunday brunch, a town favorite and possibly the greatest meal ever invented, is a rich Southern tradition that is even more popular on game day weekends.

With so many options in town, I have compiled a list of my five favorite brunch spots around Auburn to help narrow your search and avoid the scramble of what to do come Sunday morning.

Crepe Myrtle

Bringing a French delicacy to the City of Auburn, Crepe Myrtle is always a solid choice when deciding on your brunch destination. This cafe offers a new option unlike any other in town, using farm fresh products in all of their menu items.

From dessert crepes to savory ones, there’s something to satisfy every craving. If you’re not a huge crepe fan, Crepe Myrtle also offers other breakfast items such as omelets, scones, pigs n’ a blanket and monkey bread.

Located right off of College Street, its hidden garden-like atmosphere provides an escape from the happening college town. Although its set up is geared toward those with a time crunch, on Sundays it’s best to get there as early as possible. Since it isn’t a formal restaurant and operates on a café style layout, the line can get pretty long. However, if you are able to beat the crowd or wait it out, you’re in for a treat.

Ariccia Trattoria at The Auburn Hotel

Hidden within Auburn’s most inviting hotel, Ariccia Trattoria offers its own take on Sunday brunch — buffet style, with an omelet station, chef’s table filled with fruits and veggies, a traditional buffet, ham carving station and dessert station. What more could you ask for?

Although it’s one of the more expensive options, you definitely get the most out of your money and can fill yourself with enough delicious food to sustain you for hours.

Ariccia Trattoria is a great option for families and those with a big appetite for a great mix of breakfast traditions and lunch originals. You’ll be in pure brunch bliss after your meal here.

Hamilton’s

An Auburn staple, Hamilton’s restaurant is well known in town for its contemporary American cuisine. A great place for family brunch on The Plains, this restaurant offers many Southern favorites.

Holding its reputation as one of the nicest restaurants in town, Hamilton’s is a more upscale option. With amazing seafood entrees, this stop is sure to leave you wanting more. Although its Sunday brunch menu only includes four breakfast-style meals, they are prepared to a tee.

Hamilton’s does quality over quantity very well. The restaurant also offers a variety of soups, salads and sandwiches as a part of its brunch menu. A great choice if you’re looking for a later brunch with family or friends.

Acre

This Auburn favorite, described on their website as “a restaurant with sophisticated charm and repurposed architectural details serving stylishly modern food with roots deep in Southern soil,” is a must for visitors and locals alike.

Offering reservations throughout the week, as well as for Sunday brunch, Acre strives to connect Southern traditional eats with a modern twist in a welcoming, family friendly atmosphere. Offering unique menu items such as its “Duke’s chicken salad,” a “chicken fried chicken biscuit,” and crispy smoked salmon cakes, Acre should be near the top of your brunch bucket list.

The Hound

Holding a special place in my heart and my stomach, The Hound is one of the best options for Sunday brunch on The Plains. Family-owned and thriving, this restaurant offers classic menu items with a twist. Partnering with local favorite, Coffee Cat, The Hound also serves great drinks to sip on before, after or during your amazing meal.

Some townie favorites are the “redneck benedict” and “caramel French toast.” Sure to make you want to go day in and day out and worth every penny, The Hound is a go-to for every Auburn brunch goer.

If you aren’t feeling a full meal, a few coffee shops in town worth your while are Prevail Union, The Bean, Coffee Cat, Mama Mocha’s Coffee Emporium and Roasters and Ross House Coffee. All close to campus, these coffee shops are great options to grab a quick treat or morning brew.

The Depot

Built in an old train depot, this restaurant ranks among the best in Auburn for Sunday Brunch because of its unique setting, relaxed ambiance, and irresistible food.

Offering one of the biggest brunch menus in town, The Depot has masterfully created a selection of delicious and new meal options. They serve “Wood Oven Fired Quiche’s,” “Bacon & Brie Croissant,” “Gourmet Gumbo Pot,” and even “Pecan Banana Bread.” 

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; text-align: justify; text-indent: 9.0px; line-height: 11.0px; font: 9.5px 'Crimson Text'} p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; text-align: justify; text-indent: 9.0px; line-height: 11.0px; font: 9.5px 'Crimson Text'; min-height: 14.0px} p.p3 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; text-align: justify; text-indent: 9.0px; line-height: 11.0px; font: 9.5px 'Crimson Text'; min-height: 18.0px} span.s1 {font-kerning: none}

Share and discuss “COLUMN: Brunch on Sunday the right way” on social media.