Proposed video board put on hold after AD resignation

The proposed $6.3 million north end zone video board will no longer be a topic of discussion at Friday's Board of Trustees meeting.

After a work session with the board, President Steven Leath decided not to move forward with proposals on Friday. The meeting is scheduled to begin at 8 a.m.

A freeze of the plans is due to hesitation after the announcement of Athletic Director Jay Jacobs, who will be stepping down from his position by June 1, 2018. The project was in need of final approval at Friday's meeting and the trustees had requested Jacobs' bring a more concise and informative plan for the stadium's future.

"If the board had a real passion for this, I was fine with going forward," Leath told Opelika-Auburn News. "But the scoreboard's 20 years old. It doesn't really matter if it's 21 years old. It's not an emergency. It's not a crisis. If the consensus is you want to wait, we might as well."

The current video board was installed in 1998, and the new installation was to be funded by advertising and Auburn Athletics funds. Associate Vice President for Facilities Dan King said the video board would be designed to improve the fan experience.

When the proposals were initially made, District 1 Trustee B.T. Roberts said, “I’m comfortable that the board is going to want to ultimately move forward with this, but I also feel there’s enough questions that we need to test the brakes."

Share and discuss “Proposed video board put on hold after AD resignation ” on social media.