COLUMN: Family ties to the Deep South's Oldest Rivalry

A House Divided

I used to never care about football. It was always something my dad and my brothers would talk about while my mom and I rolled our eyes, sighed and said, “Ugh, boys.”

That was years ago. I was young and naive and never questioned the state of my heart’s health during a halftime show. Life was simpler then. That was before I became an Auburn Tiger.

As a loyal Auburn student and fan, it is natural to trash talk other teams. However, Georgia hate week is particularly interesting in my family. That’s right, we are a house divided.

With three brothers, two who are UGA graduates and one who's a current Auburn student, things get a little tense. My parents are hesitant for the fear of choosing favorites. This year, when asking my dad who he would root for, he replied, “I’m Switzerland.”

My brothers and I went back and forth the whole week. We sent each other memes, stats and just good ‘ole trash talk. During the actual game it didn’t loosen up. A group message among my entire family was blowing up after every touchdown, flag, interception. You name it, and it was discussed.

I was fortunate enough to make it out to Atlanta, where my family lives, for the SEC Championship game. When they heard I got a ticket they accused me of “only coming to Atlanta for Christmas, Easter and Auburn football,” but I mean War Eagle, right?

With multiple reminders from my dad throughout the night to “keep it civil,” I will say we handle the rivalry fairly well. People always ask how, growing up with three older brothers, I never got into fights with them, and I always reply, “We weren’t Tigers and Dawgs yet, we were just kids.”

As we grew into the Tigers and Dawgs we are today, my mom and I made the switch from football adversaries to supporters. With that, our family seems to have ironically gotten closer. We may be bitter rivals when pitted against each other, but at the end of the day, at least we can all agree to hate Bama.

Share and discuss “COLUMN: Family ties to the Deep South's Oldest Rivalry” on social media.