Auburn softball wins two on first day of Tiger Invitational

Auburn defeated Delaware 15-0 in five innings and beat Saint Francis 4-3 in the nightcap.

Auburn defeated Delaware 15-0 in five innings as the Tigers improved to 8-0 on the season. 

Makayla Martin, Chardonnay Harris and Kara Bilodeau combined to pitch Auburn’s seventh shutout of the season. Martin started for the Tigers and pitched three innings. 

Harris and Bilodeau both pitched one inning apiece as Bilodeau closed out the game in the fifth inning. 

Justus Perry led the way offensively, going 3-3 with four RBI and a double. Perry has been on a tear early this season for the Tigers. 

“I’m just trying to show Mickey and this team that I deserve to be here," said Perry. "I’m going to give it my all no matter what. I’m just really being see ball hit ball right now. I’m not trying to think, because when I think, there’s a lot going on. So I’m just really trying to see ball hit ball. That approach this year has been the difference for me.”

Kendall Veach hit a two-run home run and freshman Taylon Snow was 2-2 and scored three runs. Auburn got on the board early as they scored five runs in the first inning and eight runs in the second inning. 

Auburn came back and defeated Saint Francis in the second game of the night 4-3. Auburn battled back from a 3-1 deficit to win on a walk-off bunt by Victoria Draper. 

Kaylee Carlson started for the Tigers and pitched five innings allowing three earned runs. Makayla Martin took over for Carlson in the sixth. Martin had five strikeouts in two innings of relief and gave up no hits as she earned her fourth win of the season.

Martin wasn't fazed by the pressure. "Honestly I was just thinking about picking up Kaylee and obviously we were tied. Usually, when people get in that situation, they get nervous. When I get in situations like that, I feel like that’s my thing, I like that pressure."

Taylon Snow had a one out triple in the bottom of the fourth and Justus Perry followed with a RBI single to tie the game 1-1. 

A two-run home run in the top of the fifth gave Saint Francis the lead 3-1. Morgan Podany hit a two-run home run over the left field fence in the bottom of the fifth to tie the game back at 3-3. 

Podany's at bat impressed assistant coach Annie Smith. "“She’s very smart at the plate, just getting in there with a good plan," said Smith. "She got in there and got the pitch she wanted and she drilled it. I thought she had a nice at bat. I know she had two strikes but she was able get up there and drive it over the left field fence.”

Draper had the walk-off bunt in the bottom of the seventh to finish off the comeback against Saint Francis.

Being behind and battling back to win was important for the Tigers. “I think it’s going to pay off dividends down the road," said Smith. "You know you always have a target on your back when you have a ranking, you’re Auburn and you’re in the SEC. You always have that target and to be able to fight and battle and everybody contribute was a huge deal.”

The Auburn Tigers return to action Saturday with a doubleheader in the Tiger Invitational as they face Maryland at 2 p.m. and Saint Francis at 4:30 p.m. at Jane B. Moore Field.

Share and discuss “Auburn softball wins two on first day of Tiger Invitational” on social media.