LETTER | Former SGA pres: I believe in Auburn and love it

As graduation is fast approaching, I decided to take time to slow down and reflect on my four years at Auburn and on my year as SGA president. In doing so, I found myself overwhelmed with thankfulness for this place and its people for growing me into a woman that I had only dreamed of being.

Through my role as SGA president, I had the opportunity to be exposed to all facets of campus and found one common denominator among all – the values so eloquently stated in our Creed. Auburn students unwaveringly display the characteristics that make us Auburn men and women and challenged me to exemplify our shared values in each and every encounter I had and situation I found myself in.

Through my fellow students, I have experienced kindness, the human touch, the benefits of hard work and humility. As the challenges and weight of Auburn can be apparent and heavy, Auburn students do not allow these challenges to split the student body, but rather use these challenges to rally us as one to serve and work for the betterment of Auburn.

I have seen the bravery of Auburn students throughout my time. When challenges have faced our student body, Auburn students do not give up when faced with push back.

I have seen countless students stand up for what they believe, and even when pressure and stress may turn up, Auburn students do not give up and will shake that pressure and stress to push through and persevere.

They stray from the easy way to not act and take the hard way to stand firm. As students and young adults, our culture tells us to be quiet, but Auburn students have broken these chains and created a culture that values student leadership. Auburn students hold strongly to their convictions and want to see Auburn bettered.

My role as SGA president has allowed me to serve the student body over this last year, and this service has fostered and cultivated a deep and passionate love for this University and all that it stands for.

I am thankful for the administration, my executive team, my mentors, advisors and so many others that have poured into me. However, I am most thankful to the Auburn students for their belief in me. The student body is unique. I am confident that whether students become doctors, reverends, engineers, veterinarians, military leaders dealing with classified information or any other profession, that this student body will have the Auburn spirit engrained in the very person that they are and will represent and continue to love Auburn throughout the rest of their lives.

My time as SGA president challenged me more than any other experience in my life.

As I reflect on my time, I am thankful for the students that made it so special.

I remember the nervous tremor I felt before callouts, followed by a sudden wave of happiness and relief that washed over me after a long-fought campaign as my name was called, surrounded by my closest friends and family.

Thank you to you, the Auburn student body, for belief in me and for allowing me to share my heart with you.

As I wait to put on my cap and gown in the next month, I can’t help but think the best way to summarize my feelings for Auburn comes from seven little words: I believe in Auburn and love it.

The views expressed in columns and letters to the editor do not necessarily reflect the opinion of The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “LETTER | Former SGA pres: I believe in Auburn and love it” on social media.